Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Loki779

Carp in N.Y.

I'm living in the catskills in the town of hunter and im trying to find spots to try and get into some common carp but I cant find any information locations or waters that have them in a fishable depth for getting one on the fly any help or spots would be a huge help to find them

Ashokan reservoir, (West Hurley) NYS DEP property, permit (available free online) required. Walk the bank on the east end of the lower basin during the spawn (now)

Kinderhook lake, (Kinderhook) car topper boat or kayak / canoe (free launch) required, any trailerable boat requires a seasonal pass ($125.00)

Saratoga lake (Saratoga) boat required (free launch)

Lower Rondout Creek & Hudson River (Kingston) boat required (plenty of free launches)

I don't fly fish for them but I do like shooting them with a bow and arrow.

We have some problems with Asian carp in one of our local rivers. Luckily a power generating damn that has been de-commissioned stops further migration upstream.

One of my club buddies was talking to a conservation officer on legal methods to "fish" for them. The officer was asked, "Can I shoot them with my 12 gauge from the water"? His response, "As long as the boat is anchored and not moving".

Redneck skeet?

I've seen lots of big carp spawning in the Bashakill wildlife management area in Sullivan/Orange Counties. I never fished for them, but there's a lot of shallow water that would be good for canoes or kayaks. I'd guess it's exactly what you're looking for.

I'd never seen the "flying carp" until I went down to NW Tennessee for a small gathering of college friends three or 4 years ago. A couple of my friends took a boat out and the carp started jumping out of the water.. Since the boat has to be anchored and not moving I would guess "red neck skeet" is out of the questions. I tossed some M80's off the dock and that got them leaping. Even had a few come to the surface belly up.

Asian carp study confirms a market for consumption

Chef Philippe Parola presented the city of Pekin Illinois with a proposal to build a plant in Pekin to process Asian carp for human consumption.

He proposed changing the name of the fish for marketing purposes to Silverfin.

His motto was, “If you can’t beat ’em, eat ’em.” His company is Silverfin Marketing Group.

http://www.outdoornews.com/2015/10/05/asian-carp-study-confirms-a-market-for-consumption/

Asian Carp: from problem to profit

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2017-03/17/content_28586832.htm

I'd never seen the "flying carp" until I went down to NW Tennessee for a small gathering of college friends three or 4 years ago. A couple of my friends took a boat out and the carp started jumping out of the water.. Since the boat has to be anchored and not moving I would guess "red neck skeet" is out of the questions. I tossed some M80's off the dock and that got them leaping. Even had a few come to the surface belly up.

could probably stop the big boat and use a remote control boat to make them jump.

Ashokan reservoir, (West Hurley) NYS DEP property, permit (available free online) required. Walk the bank on the east end of the lower basin during the spawn (now)

Kinderhook lake, (Kinderhook) car topper boat or kayak / canoe (free launch) required, any trailerable boat requires a seasonal pass ($125.00)

Saratoga lake (Saratoga) boat required (free launch)

Lower Rondout Creek & Hudson River (Kingston) boat required (plenty of free launches)

I don't fly fish for them but I do like shooting them with a bow and arrow.

So if I take car topper canoe or kayak on a trailer because it's easier to load/unload, I'd have buy a permit?

The Kinderhook Lake Association owns the concrete launch ramp and has a keyed gate access to prevent those with boats on trailers from launching unless you buy a key. There is an agreement with the NYSDEC however that allows for car toppers (canoes, kayaks, pelicans etc) to use the parking lot and launch at no cost. The gate is constructed so that it allows for car top boats et al to fit underneath. How you get your car top vessel to the lake is up to you as long as you can carry or drag it under the gate to the water you can launch for free.

Asian carp study confirms a market for consumption

Chef Philippe Parola presented the city of Pekin Illinois with a proposal to build a plant in Pekin to process Asian carp for human consumption.

He proposed changing the name of the fish for marketing purposes to Silverfin.

His motto was, If you cant beat em, eat em. His company is Silverfin Marketing Group.

http://www.outdoornews.com/2015/10/05/asian-carp-study-confirms-a-market-for-consumption/

Asian Carp: from problem to profit

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2017-03/17/content_28586832.htm

I have eaten "silverfin". It's really pretty good. Not overly strong. Damn shame someone decided to call them carp.