Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

3rd generation Yankee

2 replies to this topic

#1 brooknut

brooknut

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:47 PM

I've been fishing for 50 years, fly fishing for 20 years and only started tying about 15 months ago when I bought a lot of tying materials on Craigslist. For $200 I got two vises (an Atlas Anvil and a Crown) 6 dry fly saddles, 9 hen hackles, 8 bucktails (5 dyed) 64 spools of thread, wire, a few thousand hooks, a bunch of synthetic materials, patches of beaver, badger, fox, coyote, elk, moose (and moose mane) bags of marabou, partridge, grouse, turkey, ostrich, pheasant and peacock, 5 bobbin holders and a bunch of other tools, and a few things that I still haven't identified. I wasn't certain I would enjoy it, but now find it's almost as fun as fishing - especially with a polar vortex heading this way. It was the best investment I've ever made - and I'm still looking for more stuff. I've been learning a lot here, and decided to finally step out of the shadows. 

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.   Henry David Thoreau

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I'm Mr Freezemieser I'm Mr Snow!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,420 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:28 AM

Welcome to the active side of the house, Brooknut.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

Oh did we step off in the deep end.

Welcome glad to have you on the site. Lots of great folks here to help out. Even if you don't ask a specific question you will read something and say hhhuuummm.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

Reply to this topic