Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Greetings from Tacoma WA

4 replies to this topic

#1 Thwap

Thwap

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

Hello everyone!

I grew up in California, fishing the American, and Sacramento rivers mainly, back in the 70's.

Learned to fly fish catching bluegill and bass on Folsom lake, and started tying when I was 15-16 or so.

Then life got in the way, and pretty much quit fishing.

I've done well, but I found myself thinking, why do I feel like I have no passion, nothing I really LOVE doing.

What did I ever LOVE to do?

So here I am 40 years later, in Washington, and just beginning the journey again.

I've got a new vise and materials coming from  the Caddis fly shop.

My son wants to learn to fly fish.

I'm totally stoked, and ready to go.

Its good to be here.

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I love Florida Summer !!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

Welcome to the site, Thwap.  I hope you find tying and fly fishing to be the thing that you're "missing".

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

It's almost never too late to balance things out and readjust, Thwap. Second chances can be awesome.
cb27

#4 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

welcome back

#5 Rarejul

Rarejul

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:48 AM

Oh how cool.. I also grew up fishing Folsom and American river in California. Lived in Fair Oaks..My mom and dad often took us camping up near a small lake where I got seriously hooked on fishing.. the best days were when you saved up all your allowance and dad took us to KMart and I would spend hours looking at fish stuff..

Reply to this topic