Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

how to mix and blend dubbing

this is just one of the many ways to mix and blend dubbing

(not responsible if the video doesnt work for you)

Yes I use a Magic Bullet Blender, I have three different tops and the two different blade sets, I try not to use the one that I grind coffee beans in LOL ( I think that is the ice shaver actually) ! Not so much because I grind coffee beans in it but more that the blades are not suited to mixing but more to grinding/shaving. I don't want to grind, I want to blend, so Use The Blender Top. Great little unit. And you can devote one top just to dubbing .

I bought a battery powered "Spice grinder" off of Amazon for $10. They run about $8, now. It will blend enough for about a dozen flies in one batch. It just has problems with very fine, very long stapled fibers (1/2"+).

The plastic reservoir wants to build static, too, so I wipe it down with a dryer sheet every once in a while.

Of course, one man's herb is another man's weed. It would seem there are many other applications for this gadget.

http://www.amazon.com/Durable-Handheld-Tabacco-Electric-Grinder/dp/B00VIL1AN6/ref=sr_1_16?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1446734114&sr=1-16&keywords=battery+spice+grinder

Kirk B

Since I don't tie large quantities of flies at one time, I do all my blending by hand. I take portions of the two or three dubbings that I want to blend and put them on top of each other. I then pull the lump of dubbing in two. I take the two halves and place them on top of each other and pull them apart again. I keep repeating this process until the dubbings are fully blended. If the color is wrong I add more of the dubbing I think is needed and repeat the process. I've been tying for 30 years and have always used this procedure. It's very simple and it takes only a few minutes to blend the right color.