Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Catfish Flies | The Fall Fly

catfish flies

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Willie Rip

Willie Rip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:22 PM

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,872 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:12 PM

I can definitely see what you're doing better than the last fly you posted.  Well done fly.  A little long, for my tastes, but good info for the beginner.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:44 AM

I like the fly. thanks.

#4 Willie Rip

Willie Rip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:09 PM

I can definitely see what you're doing better than the last fly you posted.  Well done fly.  A little long, for my tastes, but good info for the beginner.

Well, you said you couldn't see the steps, so I added every single step. The problem with adding steps is it makes the video too long. The problem with making the videos shorter is you have to skip steps by definition. I'm always thinking of the beginner.

Most catfishermen have never tied a fly or every even tried to fish with a lure before, so they need the steps big time.

#5 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,872 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

I couldn't see the last one because it was in shadows.

I like the video, since anyone can follow it.  I don't think it's too long for that ... it's just too long for ME.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:06 PM

I've caught many catfish on flies over the years, always while targeting other fish, but have never given any thought to tying flies specifically for them. Good looking fly! smile.png

#7 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:56 AM

I also heavier thread when tying bass patterns, but I use Gutermann bulky nylon.  That's a multi micro filament thread, that will lay flat if I need it to.  It can split and made into dubbing loops.  Most of my catfish have come while targeting other fish.   

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly