Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Favorite fly tying Youtube channels

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

It's hard to beat Davie McPhail. Hans Weilenmann is also good. I enjoy the videos put out by Mak flies. Tightline videos are excellent. Phil Rowley has videos of many of his excellent stillwater patterns. There are tons of good tiers on Youtube. I wish I had this resource when I was learning.

#17 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

The ones I like are the "produced" ones. That is, they are thought through and planned and scripted in advance of shooting and then edited afterward to eliminate all the redundancies and unnecessary rambling and tying activities. The list includes Hans Weilenman, Davie McPhail and Tightlines.  I really dislike the ones that were shot in someone's basement or the back room of the fly shop with dogs barking or people talking in the background and no one to operate the camera. I don't like the ones with loud/aggressive music tracks either. I will stop here...the list of dislikes seems to grow all the time.

Shoebop

#18 ihang10

ihang10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

Not mentioned yet is Jim Misiura's channel.

#19 frankie98

frankie98

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

The Weekly Fly has some good patterns but sometimes the video is not that great. I still like to go there and see what they have though!! :) 

#20 jfinn

jfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

Tightline videos are good I always pick up different tips on how to make my flies

#21 pnptrapp

pnptrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

You beat me to it. Another I like is David Cammiss.

#22 NoSlack

NoSlack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

Far too often I find myself screaming at the laptop "WHY!" or "Can't you count!" when I watch videos on You Tube. The only videos I could point a beginner at and say "Tie like that" of all that I have watched of Hans Weilenmann. Others I have seen some are ok but others leave me wondering. Things like "Take 3 or 4 turns to form the head." (Not needed on an Orange Partridge) then the tier takes 12 turns. Really makes me wonder, then to hear it lauded as an excellent video?

There are many more videos out there than I could possibly watch. There may be others I would recommend, I haven't found them yet.

I've made a few videos. Before I start I always consider if, by doing that video, I am adding anything to what is out there. A new pattern or technique, something that hasn't been covered before. That is quite a tough test, and is part of the reason I haven't done many. I may do more, but personal circumstances are making it very difficult just now. I would like to have more equipment for doing them. Especially a camera that shows my view as I am tying.

Cheers,
C.

Have any links to the videos you have made?

#23 Ty Flyer

Ty Flyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

You beat me to it. Another I like is David Cammiss.
I like Camiss' channel as well. If you're beginning fly tying, oysterboiler's channel is a good place to start.

Every Day is a Good Day To Fish,                                                 
                                      Just Some Days you catch more.

#24 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

Jim Misiuri
www.youtube.com/user/TheFlymanJim
JI'm has been tying for 25 years.
I watch Davie Mcphail and In The Riff.

#25 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

Corrected spelling.... Jim Misiura you tube

#26 Sandan

Sandan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

In the riffle, Anglersall w/ Greg Garcia https://www.anglersa...ideos/fly_tying

It's print but : Charlie Craven  http://www.charliesf...lybox/index.cfm

and flyfishsd :  http://www.flyfishsd...y-tying-videos/

#27 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

Oliver Edwards should be in the mix IMO. The neat/minimalist quality of his tying desk is a constant rebuke to me.

Rocco 

#28 GC59

GC59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:42 AM

Leroy Hyatt, put a little ceeement on it, great stuff.

#29 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

I'd also add Barry Ord Clarke  to my favorite list. His innovations, economy of presentation, and attention to the details are way above average.

Rocco

#30 flymanaj

flymanaj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:52 PM

I'm a big fan of Dron Lee. He ties some of the coolest stuff around!