Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Dealing with dings on reels

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:33 PM

Well my rod & reel slid out of my rod case as I was going up the front porch steps and the reel rim dinged the stone step. Left a couple of small gouges in the aluminum spool rim. As they say, most accidents happen at home sad.gif Another one of my reels fell of a shelf and got dinged on the concrete floor in my basement!

Asside from feeling very annoyed, is there anything I can do to 'patch' up the nicks?

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,500 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:40 PM

franky Did it actually gouge the aluminum or is it just more of a surface nick? Also is it a polished aluminum or black?
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:58 PM

They're both gouged to the aluminum. They both seem to be anodized.

#4 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,500 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:02 PM

Being anodized makes it alot harder to do because of the color. if it was polished aluminum then you could take some 200grit sandpaper to it then some 400grit wet sanded and then polish it back to get the shine but with the ano you would need to get it re anodized which really isnt to cost effective to just get rid of a nick sad.gif
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#5 jcstikfish

jcstikfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (fishyfranky @ Mar 18 2005, 08:33 PM)
As they say, most accidents happen at home sad.gif

[QUOTE]

Well if thats true, I'm movin! shocking.gif
www.autumnbrookangling.com
Custom Flies and NJ Guide Service