Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New to Tying, Jackson, MS

9 replies to this topic

#1 zfetcko

zfetcko

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:12 AM

My name is Zach and I live in Jackson, MS. I have been fly fishing for a little over 2 years now and recently got interested in fly tying. I just got a Traveler yesterday and bought what I will need to tie some clouser's. I usually fish for bass and panfish and thought this would be a good pattern to start with. I look forward to learning from all of you.

#2 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

Hey Zach, welcome to the forum! I also started with Clousers and that was an experience to say the least. I strongly encourage you to post pictures of your flies so we can give you advice. If you post pictures, I hope you have thick skin because your gonna get some "feedback" than can leave your mouth sour. Not trying to scare you, just don't expect a "good job" or "well done ". That  will come, but first "bootcamp". That is of course, if you are willing to return and continue posting pictures and to embrace the advice that these world class tiers are willing to offer. If you want an example, search up the "Rate My Clouser" threads .

Your flies will go from dumpster worthy  to fly shop worthy... but ONLY if you are willing to work hard, LISTEN, and keep trying.

Other than that, enjoy the forum!

PM me if you have any other questions!

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#3 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:31 PM

Welcome, Zack, from PA

#4 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,915 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

Welcome to the site, Zach.  

As has been stated ... pictures of your flies.  For us, it helps see where, or if there's need of improvement.  For you, it'll give you something to look back on in a few months, so you can think, "I tied THAT?"

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

Welcome to the mob!  just a thought... a clouser is probably a good choice for bass, but I'd be surprised if it served well for bluegills unless you tie a little one (size 8 or 10 long shank).  Might want to also go with bead chain eyes instead of dumbells.  However, I'd suggest you tie some Wooly Buggers for panfish... that's probably the most foolproof start, especially for gills.  Also try some foam spiders, or better yet, bully spiders.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#6 Swamp Fly

Swamp Fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:27 AM

Welcome!  In reference to clousers for panfish, I can tell you that a size 12-14 olive over white clouser with micro dumbbell eyes can be a bream slayer.  I originally wanted to imitate gambusia (mosquito fish) but I wonder if they aren't also taken as damsel fly nymphs.  It goes with out saying that crappie love them.  I've also taken cold water trout with them just to mess with a friend who needs to be poked every now and then (he can get kind of elitist every once in a while until you point it out!).

#7 zfetcko

zfetcko

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am still waiting on my tools to be shipped, but I will add some photos once I have tied a few.

#8 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

Welcome to the forum.  Do you fish Ross Barnett Reservoir?

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#9 zfetcko

zfetcko

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:13 PM

Welcome to the forum.  Do you fish Ross Barnett Reservoir?

I haven't yet. I went to a meeting Tuesday and the speaker talked about fishing for striped bass at the spillway so I really want to try that now. Do you live in the area?

#10 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:57 AM

No. I used to go by RBR occasionally.  Looked "bassy" with all the lilly pads, etc.  Good luck on the stripers!

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

Reply to this topic