Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

been prowling the boards for a while...

7 replies to this topic

#1 Hazathor

Hazathor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

Hi all,

I hail from the great state of Iowa targeting mostly warm water species, but a fair amount of trout too. Long time fisherman, but still fairly new to fly fishing and tying. I've been prowling the forum for a good while now. The forum has been a great place to gather info and points of view (lots and lots of points of view). I've found inspiration from watching the monthly flies from the bench posts and you all have been a great influence on my tying. Looking to get a bit more involved.

Cheers,

Nick

-Nick H.

#2 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

Prowl no more. Welcome aboard.

What part of Iowa? I lived for a year in Burlington. Longest coldest winter of my life!

Bimini15

#3 Hazathor

Hazathor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:06 PM

I'm a Cedar Rapidian. I can definitely understand the desire to move to a warmer local! 

-Nick H.

#4 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

Welcome.  I live in SE TN and would move to a colder climate due to asthma and allergies.

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#5 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

Welcome Nick.   Is there any water in Iowa?  When I was there I didn't see any  :-)

Let's see some pix of your fish and your flies.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#6 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:08 PM

Welcome to the active side of the site, Hazathor.   I driven (car) and ridden (motorcycle) through Iowa.  Never had the chance to fish there.

Bimini ... "Longest coldest winter of my life!"

Originally from Indiana so I understand cold weather ... AND I hate it.

Live in Florida, now.  And now my company sees fit to send me to Chicago in the Winter. mad.gif

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 Hazathor

Hazathor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

I live in the eastern part of the state where there is definitely water to be had. Great small stream fishing for smallmouth, plenty of ponds and lakes for bluegills and largemouth, and a treasure trove of trout streams as you get into the Driftless region.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

-Nick

-Nick H.

#8 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:48 PM

My folk group performed once out in Avoca, in August.  That was just about the hottest place I recall ever being (and I grew up in Texas and live in Florida).  I did like Council Bluffs though.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

Reply to this topic