Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Quill Body

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Trouta_Control

Trouta_Control

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

I would really appreciate some help/guidance on quill-bodied flies! (Im attaching a picture of what I hope to make...)

1. Some videos I have seen recommend using quills from hackle and peacock. I hate to strip an entire quill of hackle since those capes are so expensive! Has anyone tried synthetic quill by Hareline? ( https://www.anglersa...ill-body-232720 )
2. To get a glossy finish, would Sally Hansens hard as nails work?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

#2 bellevue.chartreuse.trout

bellevue.chartreuse.trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

#3 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

I make my own along with dyeing. synthetic quills

Attached Files

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

1. Use cheap capes or saddles

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

Why do you look at a persons profile after they make a post?

#5 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

The body in the picture is probably 2 moose mane quills, one white and one brown.  Plumbob used to do a lot of those (remember Plumbob?).  Like Flytire, I use inexpensive capes and saddles for quills.  Chinese/Indian capes are lousy hackles, but provide great quills and tailing materials.  To get gloss, simple coat the body with head cement when you are done.  It also increases durability.  In fact, if you are using a stripped peacock quill, you almost have to coat it or the first fish will destroy it.

Soaking quills in warm water does help.  Adding a few drops of hair conditioner to the water also helps.  I also use dyed goose biots for quill bodies.  They work best if you put a drop of glue under them before you wind.  Horse hair also works well, but splits/splinters easily (it's also hard to find.)

#6 1hook

1hook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

What your Looking at in that picture is a stripped peacock quill taken from a peacock eye. Davie mcphail ties a lot in this style and is you tube videos would be a big help... there are a lot of videos out there too on how to strip peacock quill.

#7 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

yes the first photo shows a stripped peacock herl quill

apply a dab of head cement or crazy glue to the shank prior to wrapping the quill forward

then overcoat with head cement, uv resin, sally hansens etc

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

Why do you look at a persons profile after they make a post?

#8 Trouta_Control

Trouta_Control

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:46 PM

Thank you all for the great advice!