Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Still very new to tying

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:31 AM

mickeyfinn1.jpg

mickeyfinn.jpg

• Head: Black.

Body: Medium flat silver tinsel.

Ribbing: Narrow oval silver tinsel.

Wing: A very small bunch of yellow bucktail, over which is a very small bunch of red bucktail, which a bunch of yellow bucktail equal in size to the first two bunches over this. (In dressing this fly correctly, it is important to note that the lower yellow band and the red band are of the same size, but that the upper yellow band is about twice the size of the lower.)

as dressed by john alden knight (streamer fly tying & fishing - joseph d bates jr - page 302-304 fly plar 2 indicates short hook and streamers & bucktails the big fish flies - joseph d bates jr page 340-342)

the above is from here: http://flyanglersonl...ies/part158.phpfv 

there is no tip/tag or silver mylar piping however they can be tied that way as a variant

they can also be tied on any size or length hook. just proportion accordingly

John Alden Knight was trying to sell flies -- catching fishermen rather than fish. A more fully dressed fly gives the buyer the illusion that he's getting more for his money.  The fly in the photo pretty much illustrates my comment about even commercial flies can be overdressed. It would have taken quite a bit of weight to get that fly down to where the fish are.  (Of course it was probably going to be used trolling in lakes for big brookies, so that may have not been an issue.)

Bob

#17 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

Only been tying for a month or so. Just trying to do easy patterns that I have materials for. Here is a Mickey Finn and a few jigs I tied over the last couple of days.

Comments and critique are greatly accepted. Thanks again for all the info i've gained to this point.

The OP specifically asked for comments and critiques. He is clearly interested in improving his flies and becoming a better fly tiers.

Hence my very specific comments on the deficiencies I saw on his initial flies. I believe that we do new fly tiers no favors when they ask for criticism/comments on their flies and we tell them that the flies are fine.

When I was a beginning fly tier, there were 2 types of comments that really helped me. The first was when problems were pointed out. The second type of comment was even better and that was how to correct the problem with a fly tying technique that I needed to learn. It is hard to teach a technique when limited to verbal descriptions. That is when a Youtube video can really help. What is even better are the demonstration tying events that are held at fly fishing conclaves or at a TU fly tying event. I would suggest new tyers contact TU and FFF clubs to see if they hold fly tying events.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#18 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:38 PM

The taper on the jig fly you have pictured on the vise looks really, really good. That's not easy to do.

After watching countless videos and reading countless threads on how to tie this, i was surprised it came out that good smile.png Seems like the less hackle I use, the easier it is to achieve.

You seem like a natural to me, good work, lets see more

Bruce Derington

#19 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:19 AM

I encourage you to continue. While your proportions are a little off-the wing is longer than classic proportions-that is okay if there is a reason for it. Changing a fly should solve a problem. Bass fishermen often "overdress" their flies to attract the fish's attention. Anyway, keep up the good work.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#20 eborraga

eborraga

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the comments and critiques. I'll tie some more this week and post pics. I really like the Orvis pic that was posted. Really gives me an image to focus on!

#21 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the comments and critiques. I'll tie some more this week and post pics. I really like the Orvis pic that was posted. Really gives me an image to focus on!

Before the internet and before fly tying videos, one of the best ways to learn was to buy 2 well tied flies at a fly shop.

One fly was kept for proportions of materials and location of the materials. We took the other apart, taking notes on how it was put together with the size of thread and the number of wraps. etc. Then tie the fly by using those instructions in reverse. I still think it is very helpful for beginners to have a sample fly to examine while they tie. I truly believe it shortens the learning curve.

Learning to tie is based on doing the same thing every time so the pattern is consistent. But if what you are making is not true to how the fly should look, you are practicing making poor flies. I would compare my fly with the fly I bought and note where and how my fly was deficient and that really helped me get better faster than if I did not have a pattern fly to examine.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#22 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:19 AM

Before the internet and before fly tying videos, one of the best ways to learn was to buy 2 well tied flies at a fly shop.

One fly was kept for proportions of materials and location of the materials. We took the other apart, taking notes on how it was put together with the size of thread and the number of wraps. etc. Then tie the fly by using those instructions in reverse. I still think it is very helpful for beginners to have a sample fly to examine while they tie. I truly believe it shortens the learning curve.

Learning to tie is based on doing the same thing every time so the pattern is consistent. But if what you are making is not true to how the fly should look, you are practicing making poor flies. I would compare my fly with the fly I bought and note where and how my fly was deficient and that really helped me get better faster than if I did not have a pattern fly to examine.

4 decades later I still buy interesting flies for the purpose of dissecting and proportion. 

I have a second (cheapy) vise to hold the bought fly while I copy it-seems to help me match proportions better.

#23 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:49 AM

I have several books of recipes and photos of the flies. Even the photo, black and white or color, helps with proportion. But it is still tough to beat having a fly in hand that you examine all sides of.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#24 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,254 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 04:57 AM

as mentioned above and from my tying tips and tricks pdf

A5bKXVk.jpg

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

Why do you look at a persons profile after they make a post?

#25 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 05:29 AM

Here is a link to at least a whole page of almost nothing but Micky Finns:  https://www.google.c...iw=1525&bih=706

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"