Fly Tying
cheech

UV Resin Shootout - Posted

Nice article, Cheech. I like the explanations of the testing ... I'll read it more thoroughly when I get home.

Cheech,
Thanks so much for doing this.
Your results fall along the same lines with my own experiences.

UV%2BResin%2BShootout.JPG

Mahalo,
Kimo

Nice article, Cheech. I like the explanations of the testing ... I'll read it more thoroughly when I get home.

Why Mike, you probably just use pine pitch scraped off a tree or melted candle wax from your house lighting to seal your sewing thread anyway !! LOL

The name of my Silvercreek resin needs correction. There is Flexthin and there is Crystal UV Cure. There is no Flex and there is no Thin. Thank you in advance for correcting the information.

Thanks for the effort and confirming that other than Deer Creek, my two resin are the only ones that are truly tack free. As to the heat production, my resins are purposely formulated for a fast cure and faster cure = more heat. Faster cure also means that low power flashlights will cure my resin in a shorter time. So the trade off is time vs heat production. Heat can be controlled with more powerful flaslights by waving the light over the resin.

The name of my Silvercreek resin needs correction. There is Flexthin and there is Crystal UV Cure. There is no Flex and there is no Thin. Thank you in advance for correcting the information.

Thanks for the effort and confirming that other than Deer Creek, my two resin are the only ones that are truly tack free. As to the heat production, my resins are purposely formulated for a fast cure and faster cure = more heat. Faster cure also means that low power flashlights will cure my resin in a shorter time. So the trade off is time vs heat production. Heat can be controlled with more powerful flaslights by waving the light over the resin.

Thanks. I made a note of that..

Cheech,

UV%2BResin%2BShootout.JPG

Mahalo,

Kimo

Based on your test Kimo, what is your uv of choice? It seems a lot of your ties (mind blowingly awesome by the way) utilize uv, I have silver creek and love both the products I have from him, but I always like to see what else is out there as well. After seeing what you put out I'm interested in what you use.

Thanks, Tanner

It's been a lot of hours, but this project is finally complete. We were finally able to make appropriate time to thoroughly test each product.

Check it out here: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2015/10/uv-resin-shootout.html

Cheech

Great article as always Cheech, love what you guys put out and the information you make so accessible. I'm also curious as to if you had a "favorite." I know you said you're an ambassador for loon, but I'll keep it a secret if you have a different favorite haha.

It's been a lot of hours, but this project is finally complete. We were finally able to make appropriate time to thoroughly test each product.

Check it out here: http://www.flyfishfood.com/2015/10/uv-resin-shootout.html

Cheech

Great article as always Cheech, love what you guys put out and the information you make so accessible. I'm also curious as to if you had a "favorite." I know you said you're an ambassador for loon, but I'll keep it a secret if you have a different favorite haha.

The Loon products are very hard to beat. That's what I use. This being said, I could be happy with several of the others too. Solarez was the biggest surprise, and if I were on a tight budget and no pro staff deals, I'd be all over that stuff.

I keep wanting to try out loon's uv, I might just have to break down and grab some, it seems more experimenting will have to occur on my behalf to see what I prefer. This information is a great help, thank you.

Cheech,

Mahalo,

Kimo

Based on your test Kimo, what is your uv of choice? It seems a lot of your ties (mind blowingly awesome by the way) utilize uv, I have silver creek and love both the products I have from him, but I always like to see what else is out there as well. After seeing what you put out I'm interested in what you use.

Thanks, Tanner

Roque,

I am huge fan of the Loon products and have been using them since UV Knot Sense.

My Latex Scud and Mysis Shrimp could not have been possible without it.

Kimo