Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Some time on the river

ZN0Gwi.jpg
Wd8Fig.jpg

First fish of the trip in the net today. Getting to my normal fishing spot was a bit dicey to say the least and had to do my best Indiana Jones climb to get to it, but rewarded with a dandy steelhead as the first fish of the trip. Just got here today at a little motel for today and tomorrow. Headed back out for steelhead in the morning, then shooting up further on the river system tomorrow afternoon and staying at a different place to chase trout for the next week or so.

Beautiful fish and neat picture of the collapsed fencing. Should be a few fish in that pocket, too !!

Nice way to regain sanity!

Some details on the rod and line and flies used would be interesting too.

Rocco

Cool Steve! If you get any skinnier we wont be able to see you behind those big fish!

20vuBU.jpg
d7dT7P.jpg
x1inBn.jpg
6RC4RZ.jpg
GpXnqJ.jpg
9V6lVi.jpg

We spent Monday back on the steelhead waters of the Au Sable. Seems the suckers had moved in pretty thick between Sunday night and Monday morning as we ended up putting about 50 white suckers in the net. They were big ones between 2-5lbs but still was not what we were after. manged to hook up with a couple steelhead between all the suckers.

We left the steelie waters of the river and headed further up stream to where we like to trout fish on Monday night. Fished all day Tuesday with my buddy Mark and it was pretty tough due to the flow still being high. It's 'fishable" but pretty difficult fishing. It is slowly dropping daily so it should be better by the weekend. Managed a couple small bass and walleye Tuesday evening. Hooked up with a pretty decent trout right before dark but thrashed at the surface and managed to throw the streamer.

My fishing buddy Mark had to leave to go back to civilization (work) this morning so I switched rooms at the motel and am now here all alone for the next week. Will be doing a lot of fishing over the next 6-7 days now by myself. Always nice to spend some alone time in a little country motel along the river to recharge your soul. Kicking back at the room right now and gonna hit the river a bit later this afternoon/evening.

Nice way to regain sanity!

Some details on the rod and line and flies used would be interesting too.

Rocco

Dennis we were doing a variety of things for steelies. Skagit with MOW floating tip and indi nymph rig, mow 10ft T10 and spey flies, as well as some C&D rig on 7wt rods. Now I'm in Mio chasing trout so mainly skagit casting with the 12ft 5/6 and mow sink tips pullin streamers. Had a real heavy Hendrickson hatch last night but none really hit the water mostly just mating in the air so spinners must have happened well after dark so gonna take the 5wt and dries with me tonight when I head out but still going to work the spey/streamers a lot mainly.

Quite a day today on the river. Fished from about 3pm till well after dark. I guess the river doesn't know I am trout fishing because I'm catching everything but trout so far. Not complaining though, I love any species on the fly. Caught a couple pretty nice thick river pike. Have caught many pike on the fly but these this evening were the first I have taken on the two handed spey rod so that was really cool. Caught a half dozen smallmouth and must have caught well over twenty walleye. All in all a real enjoyable day on the river. Water is going down still so hope to be able to get into spots where I always find nice trout by Friday. I'm not big on "selfies" but wanted to get a pic of me where I am at my happiest, along the banks of the Au Sable. Time to eat, shower and wash the DEET off, then hit the sack so I can get up at daybreak and do it all over again tomorrow.

Xm2NQB.jpg
1aSCxT.jpg
6oKJAO.jpg
nXFTMu.jpg
yzwFbc.jpg
T13RdA.jpg
yJ2SLl.jpg
AYWqsJ.jpg
WM8Q9g.jpg
4MRFzV.jpg
deCENB.jpg

I am so happy for you, Steve, that the weather's cooperating (knocking on wood) and you're catching fish.

Beautiful specimens, too.

Weather is beautiful this week, 70-80f and sunny. Would actually like a bit of clouds to help trout fishing but I can't complain. River is still about 6" higher than normal which is making fishing in my normal spots hard, but they finally shut the spill gate this morning and the water is slowly going down so everything is headed in the right direction it seems. Having a great time no matter what.

Cool! I wouldve released the walleye into grease! Keep catching!