Fly Tying
Hardyrod1974

Getting back into tying and A K Best

I tied a lot from about 1970 to 1980 and then put everything away (carefully).

I recently got everything out again and I'm in the process of sorting thru it all and tying again.

I tied commercially for several years for Eric Lieser, also some shops in NJ and Maine.

I did OK but don't plan on doing it again, it's not as much fun as tying some flies now and then for some friends.

The reason for this post is to get some recommendations on some books by A K Best.

I'd like to learn more of the things that would take me to the next level.

I see he has a bunch of books out there and they all look interesting but I can't buy them all.

So, what would be the first two I should get?

Thank you!

Production Fly Tying was published in 1989. Hard to believe it was that long ago. I adopted several of his suggestions from the book when setting up my bench and tying area. It sounds like you are beyond that stage. AK is still tying and you can own some of his flies for $40 a dozen. I think you will find that quite a bit has changed/evolved in the tying world since 1980. Welcome back!

PS If you like AK Best then watch a few videos on youtube from Davie McPhail. He is a very, very efficient tyer as well.

Johnny,

I still have my very simple fly tying bench from the 1970's, though disassembled. I need to put it back together and reconfigure the working area.

Mr. Best's Production Fly Tying books seem very interesting. I've looked them over on Amazon but not in person. How much has changed in them over the 20 or so years they have been out? One reviewer mentioned the picture reproduction wasn't as good in the 3rd edition as it was in the 2nd edition, any thoughts on that?

I'll take a look at the D McPhail videos on YouTube soon, thanks.

One word for you

YouTube

Here's AK shooting the sh## tying a beetle

AK tying a spent Caddis

AK tying a Marabou streamer

And "best" of all, here's a 2 hour video put out by AK going over a wide variety of techniques, starting with dry fly tailing. I haven't watched it yet and hope nobody shuts it down before I do...

https://youtu.be/JbuumWjZhhg

Not that books aren't still great. The one Flytire mentioned is my personal favorite to supplement the YouTube vids

Production Fly Tying was published in 1989. Hard to believe it was that long ago. I adopted several of his suggestions from the book when setting up my bench and tying area. It sounds like you are beyond that stage. AK is still tying and you can own some of his flies for $40 a dozen. I think you will find that quite a bit has changed/evolved in the tying world since 1980. Welcome back!

PS If you like AK Best then watch a few videos on youtube from Davie McPhail. He is a very, very efficient tyer as well.

Production Fly Tying is more of a reference book. There is a chapter on tools, tailing and materials, ribbing and materials, bodies and materials, wings and materials and hackling and materials. Remember this was for the person who was gearing up to sit at the vise and tie a bunch of consistant flies. It is not a pattern book. AK says that most desks are too high and most chairs too short for tying. Here I agree with him and never had a desire for one of those beautiful oak roll top desks that so often get posted. He gets into vises, bobbins, scissors and some home made tools.
I recall searching everywhere for those Wiss scissors he raved about. When I finally found them I bought a few pair. I couldn't get used to them. He also liked the inexpensive S&M bobbin. I obtained some of those and again rarely used them. So from my perspective the tools chapter (unless the newer editions got revised) seems dated. Just think of the growing number today of hooks, threads, beads, dubbings, genetic hackle, plastic eyes, legs, dumbells and more. There are also many more choices today in selecting tools and lighting and such than when this book was published. Plus today, you can come to one of these forums and get all kinds of feedback and opinions on any topic related to fly tying.
If you haven't been tying since the eighties you might feel like Rip Van Winkle walking into a shop like the Bears Den. The new tools and materials probably won't catch you any more fish but it's not about that. Or is it?

FYI I watched that AK Best video in full yesterday. I had not yet known much of him other than his tremendous influence and his advocacy of quill bodies. This is a great resource for intermediate tyers re natural materials and techniques for dry fly tails, bodies, wings and hackle, covers four or five materials for each and provides clear and efficient instruction showing the details of how to select and handle the various materials, and solid proportions and techniques for mayflies, Caddis flies, attractors and emergers. A lot of nice tricks and tips along the way (I won't give them away here). Not flashy. Direct, explicit, aimed at being helpful more than being impressive, and yet it is very impressive. In two hours he gives (and nicely demonstrates to) the viewer everything they need to know to tie a full variety of dry and emergers troutflies. A nice gift to learning tyers from a true master who's learned what he teaches from vast experience.

FYI I watched that AK Best video in full yesterday. I had not yet known much of him other than his tremendous influence and his advocacy of quill bodies. This is a great resource for intermediate tyers re natural materials and techniques for dry fly tails, bodies, wings and hackle, covers four or five materials for each and provides clear and efficient instruction showing the details of how to select and handle the various materials, and solid proportions and techniques for mayflies, Caddis flies, attractors and emergers. A lot of nice tricks and tips along the way (I won't give them away here). Not flashy. Direct, explicit, aimed at being helpful more than being impressive, and yet it is very impressive. In two hours he gives (and nicely demonstrates to) the viewer everything they need to know to tie a full variety of dry and emergers troutflies. A nice gift to learning tyers from a true master who's learned what he teaches from vast experience.

Chugbug,

Was reading your post and then saw it was from last August. I tried bringing up the A.K. Best video but it is no longer on youtube. Know any other place of seeing it.

I had the good fortune to meet AK (although he would not remember it) and I purchased a number of his flies. His books are, as stated above, from a working, professional's point of view. They drove me crazy at times. His seemingly effortless tying requires a tremendous amount at the vise to even become halfway proficient with, at least for me. To me, he sets the standard, along with Bob Clouser, of a practical fly tying that is at the same time elegant and useful. He blurs the line between artistic tying and practicality.