Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
atxdiscgolfer

Gauging Interest for a Classic Salmon Fly Swap

I have never seen a swap on here for these types of flies and wanted to get a feel for who on here would be interested in attending should I start a swap for these. I know that these are very time consuming and I am thinking no more than 5 tyers max with a long due date to accomodate work schedules and family life. If I am way off track with this idea please tell me so, i am jumping head first into tying these types of patterns. All levels would be welcome, I will be a beginner for these patterns as well but will all the youtube videos, books, etc.. we can figure it out.

I would be a beginner at tying classic salmon patterns myself, but I've always wanted to give it a try, so I would be interested. My only concern would be how far out the due date was going to be--I am currently hosting a swap with a due date of October 15, and I am teaching a fly tying class from October 17 - November 14, so if I was going to join up, the due date would have to be mid-December at the earliest.

I have attempted simpler versions of them and we did have a swap some time back for them. I'd be willing to give it a go. If photobucket hasn't caught up with me yet I'll post a couple of flies from the swap I did. I know you're looking for something fancier but this was what everyone had along the lines. More of a classic style streamers than a Salmon Fly.

Wish your swap wrapped up sooner Byron. I'll be on the White River from the 13th-23rd and just know there'll be some in there I'd like to get wet.

DSC01064_zpsh1xtacmb.jpg

DSC01065_zps6azkcz1i.jpg

I'd like to give this a shot. Are you thinking full dress, married wings, JC, royal coronation type flies or would some of the simpler looking (they look easier to me, anyway) hairwings be fair game?

atx, if you look at most of the flies in flytire's link you're looking at married wings in multiple colors, Golden pheasant crest you'd need at least a couple of heads for, yarns and silks most of us don't have and buying exotics just for the swap is not very economical. These flies tied in showroom quality sell from $50 on up and ones in a shadow box mounted can go into the hundreds. If you won't allow fur flies that are easier and something many have on hand it limits a lot of people. I want to do something that I'd find hard to do and go to the flies I posted and say...HONESTLY...they'd skimp in as the basic fly you'd by looking for OR...you want flies taken a few steps beyond those shown. That would give a guideline to know where we're shooting for.

Nick

Your top link Flytyer

that leaves me out

if you are looking for that type of fly you might want to post your swap here, a sister forum of this one

http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?showforum=4

now if you were thinking of the hairwing flies in my second link then i would be in and maybe others would be too

i would suggest you actually tie one of those flies in the top link and gauge for yourself if this would be a viable swap

Yes and I completely agree with you regarding the cost of the materials, there is one thing that was mentioned several times from that webinar and that was dont go cheap on materials. This is the reason why I am throwing this idea out here; my hope is that maybe there would be a way to do a swap for this type of fly through substitute materials; who knows. I have a some golden pheasant, and I dont remember paying $50 for it or maybe i just got a hell of a deal. Let me research some patterns and see what i can find. I am not at all opposed to doing a hairwing Salmonfly swap, heck i tied 1 for a Salmon swap a year or 2 ago and got a pm or post from the SM saying he caught a fly on it.

vic said the flies cost $50 and up not the pheasant crests

"These flies tied in showroom quality sell from $50 on up and ones in a shadow box mounted can go into the hundreds."

Yes and I completely agree with you regarding the cost of the materials, there is one thing that was mentioned several times from that webinar and that was dont go cheap on materials. This is the reason why I am throwing this idea out here; my hope is that maybe there would be a way to do a swap for this type of fly through substitute materials; who knows. I have a some golden pheasant, and I dont remember paying $50 for it or maybe i just got a hell of a deal. Let me research some patterns and see what i can find. I am not at all opposed to doing a hairwing Salmonfly swap, heck i tied 1 for a Salmon swap a year or 2 ago and got a pm or post from the SM saying he caught a fly on it.

Guess he was happy with that. He was fly fishing.

Just jabbing ya' a little atx.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I think I'm going to have to bow out of this one. If we're going for the kind of patterns shown in Flytire's first link above, there's no way I'd get it done in time, not with my own swap plus a four-week tying class that will run right up almost to Thanksgiving, then the holiday madness. It's a great idea for a swap but I'll have to wait for the next one.