Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyrod98

120 ft .010 Copper Wire for 50 cents

I bought 12 inches of 16ga extension cord from an ACE hardware for 50 cents. With a little work stripping the outside insulation off to get at the three conductor and a little more work getting most of the inuslation off the three stranded conductors, you have a source of .010 in. copper wire for fly tying. Each conductor has 40 strands of the . 010 wire.

I cut the 1 foot chunk in half as shown in the pic.

post-3379-1153794885_thumb.jpg

This is the same way I get most of my wire.... if you visit a car audio dealer, most of them keep a scrap wire box in the back somewhere.... these wires tend to be much finer than 'extension cord' wire. some of the larger diameters like 4/0 can have hundreds of strands inside. The shop will usually give away pieces less than 8 or 10 inches. I just wish someone would manufacture electrical wiring in different colors, I'm tired of copper! LOL!!

I have been using SS 28 gauge for my ribbing dubbibg brushes but I found 100 ft at Joanns for 5.00 that was 28 gauge plain stainless. Compared to .20 cents a foot for the SS quite a good deal.

The ribbon cables used to attach various drives to the motherboards is made up of silver wire. Some ribbons are made of up to 60 or so wires each with 7 strands of fine silver wire. I get mine out of scrapped computer, before we recycle them.

Sign in to follow this