Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Chile Bound... advice needed!

So my dad's boss completely surprised me by inviting me to tag along on my dad's business trip. We plan on going 5 days before just to fish the southern part of the country, the Chilean Patagonia. I have fished the Argentine side of the Patagonia, which is where my love of fly fishing and first real fish came, so this has a special place in my heart.

We will mainly be targeting salmon. King, chum, and coho are the 3 main species I believe, as well as some bycatch-trout. I have no idea what to expect lol. What flies do they eat? What flies do I bring? Best fly line? Any kind of advice like that is greatly appreciated.

Also, it is worth noting that we will be fishing with a guide, probably on float trips if that helps.

Dates - (fishing wise) March 30 -April 1.

Pretty excited for the trip I must say, and I never saw it coming.

Flats

Just guessing ... but I'm betting they don't have a LOT of pressure, those fish down there. If that's the case, then anything you throw at them will be eaten. It is only the catch and release programs that allow fish to be conditioned to avoid certain "foods". Prey items that bite back quickly condition fish to avoid them.

So, the fish we go after in the States are harder to catch because they've been conditioned to avoid most artificial presentations.

People usually keep Sunfish ... so they remain easier to catch.

People usually keep salt water fish ... easier to catch.

Trout species, Bass species and other mostly C-n-R fish are harder to catch due to conditioning.

I'll assume that fish in remote areas may have never seen an artificial fly and catching them will be easy in comparison.

Trout species, Bass species and other mostly C-n-R fish are harder to catch due to conditioning.

I'll assume that fish in remote areas may have never seen an artificial fly and catching them will be easy in comparison.

Almost certainly not true. Current scientific thought is that where catch & kill is allowed in heavily pressured situations, the easily caught fish get removed from the gene pool. Those that are more wary get to pass along their genes.

As for an individual fish learning anything, I've caught too many trout from C&R streams on the same fly immediately after releasing them to believe that it's possible at all.

If you're going to be with a guide the entire time I'm guessing they'd be providing all the flies you'll need as a part of their service. Might be kind of fun to bring some patterns from home just to play with, but I'll bet the guide will have all the local patterns covered for you. Certainly a good idea to check in with him/her just to be sure and it sounds like you're already planning to do that.

Sorry ... I wasn't trying to start a discussion on conditioning and catch rates.

My intent was to put forth the idea that whatever you would tie for those fish in the States would likely work for those fish down there.

I would think the same flies that are used in Alaska for the Pacific Salmon would work for the same species in Chile. These are simple Bucktails. White bellies, and Red or Orange on top. Not real long, on size 1 to 2/0 salmon hooks. Marabou "Popsicles" In Red should also work.

I tied hundred of these every summer for years, but that was before I had a camera to take pictures of the bucktails.

If you check with the guide outfit, they will be able to tell you what they use.

post-12074-0-65548700-1518927710_thumb.jpg

Update ---

So ended up booking with a guide called Jack Trout (with a last name like that...) and we will go with one of the locals who guides for him. 3 full days, and we are planning 2 for big salmon and 1 for trout, if weather prohibits.

Flies and Gear - Was told they would have everything from rods to flies, but I tie my own and would love to try my skills in a different fishery. Was told that big and heavy streamers that get down and move a lot will get the most action, so ordered a bunch of Game T106H hooks, baitfish skull heads, and a few zonker strips, schlappen, etc. Will make sure to post some pics on here. Also, McFly (if he even checks anything besides his video posts), I will be tying several Baby Bow Streamers thanks to your instruction...

As you can imagine, I can not wait...

Lucky lucky you. When I was in Patagonia I saw some HUGE fish and didn't catch any trout but did catch lots of fish that looked like tiger fish. Big teeth and tasted lovely. Lots of shad type fish near the estuaries too. You'll have a blast.

Check out videos from Brian Wise, Kelly Gallup, Russ Madden ....and Gunner Brammer’s “Tie like a Pro” series for techniques.

Fished the Rio Serrano in Torres del Paine on 1.11.18. There was plenty of pressure. Locals fish early 3/4 AM. Gringos on tours go out next at 9 am. Especially on the Chilean side you are fishing "bocas" or mouths from glacial lake waters. Once you get behind the boca you can fish smaller streamers, buggers, sculpins etc. On the Argentine side we were fishing orange wooly buggers.

Patgonia is windy! This is two handed spey territory. If the fly fishing is not going well do not hesitate to pick up a spinning rod. You will be throwing some of the biggest spoons you have ever seen to freshwater fish. I posted a few back on my trip to Patagonia. Have fun!