Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
uncletube57

Info for fishing Wisconsin

I am going to Wisconsin in early september and will be camping right outside of fort Mccoy on the la Crosse river. There is about 75 miles of class 1 trout water on post and I Was wondering what type of patterns I should tie up for the trip. Any info would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Tight lines and drag free drifts always,

Tube blink.png blink.png blink.png

P.S. I still hate the title " Bait Fisherman" !!!!!

P.S.S. What's with the Warning Points ?

Keep posting, the "bait fishermen" moniker will be upgraded. Besides ... those "angler worms" you've got in your pocket say bait fishing is still an option. wink.png

"Warning points" is a defunct system. No one loses or gains points ... it's just there, now.

Rocco I went to this site and not much info at all . I have already checked into the permit situation. There is a good interactive map though. Thanks for the try anyway.

Tight lines and drag free drifts,

Tube

Wisconsin DNR has county maps showing streams with trout populations, broken down by those with wild fish and those augmented with stocking. I'm not sure if the base would be included, but it wouldn't hurt to check their website.

Many bases have a rec building where you can find information for on-base hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activities, even equipment rental for fishing, kayaking, etc. You may look in to seeing whether Ft. McCoy has one as well.

Good luck!

Guys thanks for the suggestions but, I have tried most of the web sites and am aware of the rules and regulations for fishing on a military post. What I want to know is what kinda patterns they fish up there for rainbows. browns and brookies. especially brookies. I dont want to drag all my boxes with me as I have several and don't want to buy up bunches of flies that I may or may not have. I am becoming somewhat frustrated and may end up just taking my spinning gear (Yikes!!!). this I would hate to do because there is so much trout water there not mention that on Mccoy the streams have wild trout. I would love to catch some wild Brookies, something I haven't done since my trip to Vermont several years ago. 8 inch brook trout filets and scrambled eggs for breakfast !! Yummy!!!! I know that they have different size regs depending on streams you fish. I have been to Mccoy when I was in the Mo guard and one of the guys in my unit took fly gear with him and caught some nice ones on his free time off duty. I know he used dry flies but, I don't remember what pattern he used. That was 25 years ago, Thank again for the help.

Tube

Contact these folks. They have a handle on pretty much all of that area.

Lund's Fly Shop

102 North Main Street
River Falls, WI 54022

715-425-2415

Thanks Fin-ite 34 I gave them a call and they were very helpful. Now I know what I need to tie for my trip.Again thanks to everyone who has posted to this thread.

Tight lines and drag free drifts always, Looks like I need to tie up some size20 BWO's !

Tube

Rich mc they recommended BWO's size 18 to 22, ants, spiders, hoppers,Woolly buggers, midges sizes 16 to 20. I have some very small clouser minnows tied on size 10 3399 mustads with 5/32 dumbell eyes and I used calf tail for the winiging I am going to try them as well.

Tube

Look up a fly called the pink squirrel. It is a staple on all Driftless streams, usually in sizes from 14-18 and with various sizes of bead heads to go with them.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I live in River Falls and know the Rush and Kinnickinnic (Kinni to us locals...) quite well. The Pink Squirrel already mentioned is definitely a staple for us around here, though I like to tie mine with a black body and use Hot Pink Ice Dub UV instead of ultra chenille for the hot spot. I'm also fond of Sparkle Duns in various colors and sizes (although size 16 is what I tend to grab most often for Sparkle Duns as well as Pink Squirrels). Another recommendation would be Hoppers. They're starting now and should be in full force while you're here. I'd recommend Pink Hippie Stompers.

Sounds like the guys at Lund's gave you some spot on advise as well. Another shop I've heard great things about, but haven't been to myself is the Driftless Angler in Viroqua (www.driftlessangler.com) Best of luck and enjoy your time in our great state.