Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Garden almost in shape

Best time of the year now. Fishing trips, outside working in the garden on bonsai trees, just doesn't get any better than finally being able to get outside and enjoy the sun and some fresh air. Spent the past two days bouncing from rod work to yard work. Finally got the backyard about 80% done now after much cleaning, weeding, weeding....did I mention weeding? plants and bringing the trees outside for the first time this year. Still have some work to do but it's good enough now to enjoy again. Plan to do a lot of fly tying out there between fishing trips this year!

v8cKaM.jpg
KWaids.jpg
oTWmhn.jpg
3RS71b.jpg
8F2uYo.jpg
5PZB0d.jpg
qx4kBt.jpg
vur5hl.jpg
z9gVp8.jpg

Been working on my veggie garden as of late. Have watermelons, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, beefsteak tomatoes, green and red bell peppers, and banana peppers up in the seedling stage right now. Have corn and okra just breaking through the soil, planted from seeds about a week ago. Still have to plant flowers to attract bees from the hive across the yard, then mulch with wheat straw and keep taking care of it til harvest time. So stoked to have a good garden this year.

Looks lovely Steve. The bird will make one heck of a mess when the chicks are fledged. Hope you have a jet wash handy.

Beautiful. And the Dove's a nice touch.

Did you have to coax her in with some seed ... or did she just show up?

She just showed up Mike. While I was out working yesterday I took a break and was standing next to my raised flowerbed/arbor and just happen to look over and she was about 2ft from my face eye level on top of the arbor. Normally I'll move nests when they start building them just so I don't have to deal with cleaning up and babies falling and such, but she seemed like she must already be sitting on eggs so I figure I'll let her just go ahead and do her thing.

19fLgc.jpg

Somehow planting a new Rhododendron turned into an all day pond makeover. The joys of being OCD. Built up a soil mound on the backside of the pond and planted the rhododendron up top then planted four new hosta down the hill and around the pond. Also built the waterfall into the hill and covered the hoses and made everything more natural looking.

Very pretty. A lot of what you've planted doesn't even grow well this far south.

Wife is envious.

Do you not have slug issues in your area? Hostas are lovely but slugs and snails won't leave them alone here.

Every once in a while one or two plants like the hosta will have a few leaves eaten up by slugs but it's not too common that it happens. If there ever is a problem with them putting out an aluminum plate with some beer in it usually takes care of the slugs.

If there ever is a problem with them putting out an aluminum plate with some beer in it usually takes care of the slugs.

That's what we always did in Indiana. Works like magic.

Haha, the beer traps work great, trouble is there are so many here they use their comrades corpses to build bridges. Hostas here are like brochs. Have a moat of oyster shells around them and a ditch to make sure leaves don't sit too low. Still doesn't protect them.

Id love to sit out there in the evening and have a cold one!Gorgeous yard Steve!