Fly Tying

Hey guys, going to Sanibel in April for a couple days (I think 4?). Really hoping to get my first snook, tarpon, and redfish on fly. I know about the beach fishing for snook, which should be really fun as I truly think that wade fishing is the ultimate challenge!

Anyways, what flies and what sizes should I bring?

For tarpon, snook and redfish.

And I am pretty sure I am going to get plenty of shots at snook and tarpon, but is that a good time for redfish?

Flats

Hi Flats,

I don't know much about Sanibel Island but I have seen several videos by Norm Ziegler

who owns a fly shop on Sanibel. Norm seems like a down to earth guy who can probably

give you some expert local advice on the time of year and the species around the island.

Norm ties his Crystal Schminnow fly pattern (find it on YouTube) which looks super easy

and he claims as deadly for all types of saltwater fly fishing.

Guest rich mc

we had snook and ladyfish by renting a canoe/ elec motor at ding darling refuge . trolling with a fly rod as cool

Not sure if they are there in April ..but the Snook can be caught off the beach, no wading necessary ...you will have to watch your back cast.

When you're fishing the beach at Sanibel remember that - at times the fish (snook) are very very close to the sand but hard to see- so don't spend all your efforts wading out a distance from shore. Pay close attention to anything Norm has to say since he's really dialed in about where the fish are and what they're biting. Here's his website, if you don't already have it. http://www.normzeiglersflyshop.com/

Definitely stay out of the water on the beach.

This snook was going after little baits 10 feet right behind me where the water drops off to about 2-3ft. I was watching a couple out about 30+ feet out and this one shows up almost on the sand 15 feet away. Didn't even cast just flipped it out.

post-44758-0-15268000-1485349887_thumb.jpg

Ditto what was said about not wading, that pretty much goes for most places for beach snook. I have regularly had them bite right in the breakers as the water rushes up on shore. It's pretty amazing getting a bite right where there wasn't even water a second ago. If the water is real clear, I highly recommend a DT Special, thing is deadly and greatly mimics the real small bait they feed on at the beaches

Breakers? I didn't see any my week there last July but yeah they will surprise you how close they get.

Even on the east coast they'll be shin deep water more often than outside although harder to see in the mornings before the breeze kicks up, then almost impossible when it get's breezy in the northern ranges midday on.

Depending on the weather & how warm the gulf is snook may not be on the beach, but still in the backcountry along with reds & trout in early April. Also tarpon usually show up in Pine Island Sound around this time when white butterflies come out, but again probably still too early at the beginning of April off the beach.