Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Decisions

Fly fishing for Musky in film festival of 2016.

Well, I was more than a little intimidated in filling in for a person who had to step down from one of the fly swaps. I have never tied a fly for musky let alone a fly larger than on a size 4 hook.

Now, I came out of my comfort zone and was going to make a half dozen musky sized flies for experienced fly fishermen a minimum size 5/0 hook. I thought I bit off much more than I could chew.

I am by all means, no stranger to Musky fishing but have never even thought of musky on the fly till a couple weeks ago. Calling around, I found a few guys that have done musky on the fly so I asked them for pointers. The best phone call I made was to my Niece of all people, her Maid of Honor's husband was into fishing them on the fly "big time" I was told.

Now I knew this guy from many years of fishing, yet I never knew how involved he was into fly fishing. Ended up being the best connection in terms of not only criticizing my ties but also of great value for fishing techniques.

Needles to say, I was humbled to not know this about Mike McNaught.

He and a few other of his friends made a 10 minute clip for the Fly Fishing Film Festival.

https://vimeo.com/150272177

Well, I was more than a little intimidated in filling in for a person who had to step down from one of the fly swaps. I have never tied a fly for musky let alone a fly larger than on a size 4 hook.

Now, I came out of my comfort zone and was going to make a half dozen musky sized flies for experienced fly fishermen a minimum size 5/0 hook. I thought I bit off much more than I could chew.

I am by all means, no stranger to Musky fishing but have never even thought of musky on the fly till a couple weeks ago. Calling around, I found a few guys that have done musky on the fly so I asked them for pointers. The best phone call I made was to my Niece of all people, her Maid of Honor's husband was into fishing them on the fly "big time" I was told.

Now I knew this guy from many years of fishing, yet I never knew how involved he was into fly fishing. Ended up being the best connection in terms of not only criticizing my ties but also of great value for fishing techniques.

Needles to say, I was humbled to not know this about Mike McNaught.

He and a few other of his friends made a 10 minute clip for the Fly Fishing Film Festival.

https://vimeo.com/150272177

Totally freaking Awesome... Thanks for posting