Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Chernobyl Ant

So the chernobyl ant doesn't really look like an ant. I guess its closer to maybe a hopper imitation? Even that is very suggestive. However this fly seems to produce very well, especially when trout are actively feeding on large terrestrials in the mid to late summer. Not only is this a good trout fly, but it is a great bluegill, panfish fly and bass fly as well. It floats amazingly, and is one of the best indicator type flies out there. By indicator fly, I mean a fly that is large, and able to be seen, that you can use to float a nymph, or see when a small dry fly is taken.

So they seem difficult to tie, and for the first dozen or so, you will think its tough. It will take a while to tie your first few, but once you get into a rhythm of tying these, you can crank them out quite quickly. And, the color combination is pretty much endless, with many different colors of foam and rubber legs. Also this fly does well tied in a wide range of sizes as well.

So as usual I am listing all the materials used on this fly.

Hook: Daiichi 1280 in size 14

Dubbing: Antron dubbing in orange gold

Foam: 2mm foam in gold, olive, and orange

Legs: grizzly barred rubber legs

Cement: Hard as Hull

Cricket. (Chernobyl's cause it mutates easily.) Here's a great discussion from stevenojai, no need to guess...

"This fly was the winner of the 1995 Jackson Hole One Fly Contest. It was designed by Mark Forslund and Allan Woolley, guides on the Green River below Flaming Gorge, Utah. Originally designed as a Mormon Cricket imitation for cutthroats, it has been successful throughout the Sierras with many species of trout. The high density foam gives the fly excellent floatation and the rubber legs give it life-like action. Use a twitching action to help make the legs move around. Many variations are possible with this pattern using various colors of foam, thus it is referred to as a "Mutant" ant and thus it's name, Chernobyl Ant. Best time to use this fly is from Late Summer to Fall from August through November."

Good story, I have not read that before, those crickets come in about six different colors naturally. i had considered the fly as a spider/beetle imitation.

Nice video. I tie these in 3 sizes, 8, 10, and 12 using orange and white for the sight indicators.

Orange on size 8, white on size 10, orange at the rear and white on the front of the size 12. That way it's a quick visual for which size in the box.

Nice video. I tie these in 3 sizes, 8, 10, and 12 using orange and white for the sight indicators.

Orange on size 8, white on size 10, orange at the rear and white on the front of the size 12. That way it's a quick visual for which size in the box.

Thanks!

Good thinking with the visual. I personally tie these in 14, 10, and 6.. the skipping of sizes helps with visually seeing the size difference in the box quickly. But I like your idea too. Especially for sizes that are right near each other.

Size 8 and 10 are easy to see regardless of light conditions. Size 12 starts to run into minor problems.

Orange and white can both be tough under certain light conditions. When you can't see one you can usually see the other.

I have often considered a fluorescent green or lime for a sight indicator. Haven't tried it but need to.

Size 8 and 10 are easy to see regardless of light conditions. Size 12 starts to run into minor problems.

Orange and white can both be tough under certain light conditions. When you can't see one you can usually see the other.

I have often considered a fluorescent green or lime for a sight indicator. Haven't tried it but need to.

Sometimes when the glare on the water is bad (usually early morning or later afternoon, I find black or some really dark color shows up the most. At that time I switch to a Chernobyl (or indicator) with a black back.