Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AF_Tier

Curly Tails - Fly Style

Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinion on tails for trolling flies.

I'd like to try something that matches (or at least comes close to) the action of the tails on plastic grubs (think 3" Power Grubs from Berkley, although I feel terrible about mentioning something so crude on this forum).

I know there are different variations of hair, feathers, and fur available for this sort of thing, but I was wondering if anyone would mind posting their success at imparting a little more action on their streamers/tube flies. Thanks!

Frank

Frank, there are tails made by someone that are for fly tying, and look like the tails on grubs. I don't recall who makes them however.

I've made my own using latex sheets, and they work fine but latex tends to deteriorate after awhile. I've also tried chamois, which works very well, holds up very well, and is easier to find than latex sheets. Cutting the tails out of chamois is much easier than cutting the latex too. Many hardware stores or auto parts store carry chamois cloth, as well as discount stores like Walmart.

BTW, I don't think plastic grubs are particularly crude, simple maybe, but hardly crude. They are very effective & popular lures, and I use the Berkley Power Grubs for LM Bass, SM Bass, Striped Bass and panfish quite a lot, with both bait casting & spinning tackle. One of my favorite trolling lures for Stripers is a 6 or 8 inch curltail grub or a long 7 to 12 inch ribbontail worm on a jig head. Imitates an eel real well.

I also don't think trying to create a fly that mimics the action of a grub is crude either. It only makes sense to go with something that is tried & proven if you're trying to catch fish.

If you just want action, marabou or ostrich herl will both provide plenty, but you still won't get the wiggle that a grub tail provides.

Try the chamois, it should be what you're looking for.

Agn - I'd seen those, but I was going to try and avoid plastic if I could.

Tidewater - I didn't even think of chamois, which falls into line a little better than the plastic tails. And I bet I could dye them whatever color I needed as well.

I'll probably end up giving the plastic tails a shot, as well, just to compare. I just thought I'd be tossed out of here after mentioning (gasp!) bait casting!

Frank

I have looked at the plastic tails a few times myself, but have not tried any. It just makes me think of the mister twisters we tossed with spinning tackle when we were kids. That kind of stuff does catch fish though, no doubt about it. It could also give you a little more water to yourself if you fish near hardcore traditionalists. They might move off from you a bit when they see what you are throwing. :P