Fly Tying
Gundriver64

Hook Organizing

Hi Guys,

Looking for some suggestions for a decent solution for hook organization. Preferably, boxes that can be found on Amazon P. Most of my hooks range in size from 20 to 2/0.

TIA,

G

I really like that solution Norm. I’m guessing the box dimensions are 4 by 6?

no

6 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches

hook-box.jpg

I've long ago given up the search for better hook organization. No matter what I tried just added bulk, wasted space and inefficiency. My Recommendation is not to go down the rabbit hole of hook organization. Hands down the best method for me is to store them in their original packaging lined up like ducks in a row much like how one would store their baseball card collection in a box. Easy to find and way less wasted space and bulk. My method lacks the whizbang looks but its the cleanest most efficient way for me.

I really like that solution Norm. I’m guessing the box dimensions are 4 by 6?

no

6 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches]

That’s even better - thanks.

streamer hook just stay in their original packaging and stored in a sterilite plastic shoe box

streamer-hooks.jpg

God bless plastic bags!

All my hooks are bagged by type -- salmon, streamer, salt water, nymph, wet, nymph, scud, etc...-- in their original boxes in large plastic bags.

There is no other commercial storage system going that accommodates all the sizes and shapes in a space efficient manner.

Rocco

Harbor freight. Hooks 2/0 to 18, beads, dumbbells, and more.

I leave hooks in their original bags though often cut off to fit.

post-61693-0-36477000-1564323547_thumb.jpg

I keep the most used hooks in 10 compartment boxes. One for dry fly hooks, one for wet fly/nymph hooks etc. One box can cover a wide range of sizes, from size 20 to size 6-3xl. They are handy at the bench and can be quickly put in a travel bag. I refill them as needed from my bulk storage. For that I keep the hooks in their original packages in a plastic drawer unit.

5XNDzPP.jpg

Original paper boxes lasted a week or two, but the small hooks leaked out almost from the start. I used the stacking screw together jars for about 30 years before finding some small boxes like Jaydub's, the thing is I don't recall where those little boxes came from and can't find any more like them. The stacking jars (link above) can be as many as you want screwed together in one stack and so take up less desk top than any other system I've ever seen. Only problem I had with them is eventually they became yellowed and somewhat brittle with age and they are limited to hooks <1.5"