Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Lightning hitting water

Denduke ... that's actually a video of a "det cord" demolition to break up the bottom and blockages in the channel. It's been passed around the internet as a lightning strike fro a while now.

Holy Moly, Flytire !!! That rod is amazingly destroyed.

Denduke ... that's actually a video of a "det cord" demolition to break up the bottom and blockages in the channel. It's been passed around the internet as a lightning strike fro a while now.

Holy Moly, Flytire !!! That rod is amazingly destroyed.

I think it was on here a few months ago, this version didn't work for me but the first thing I thought was "hey, the det cord Video"

I wondered about the traveling sideways....Got me! Often thought about graphite lightning rods....

Someone who, for the shame of it, will remain nameless, wanted to buy an old Sealey Octofly 9' split cane fly rod I had back in the mid 90's. It was what we called a "pipe smokers" rod Make the back cast, get out your pipe, ream out the barrel, charge it with bacci, light it, take a couple of puffs, make the forward cast! It really was that slow. Anyway he wanted this rod, and we agreed a price. Deal done I asked him why he was so keen on this rod.
"Well you see I likes to fish Stocks Reservoir, [a reservoir high in the Pennines of northern England, surrounded by moorland] from a boat, and there are often thunder storms up there. I want's a rod I can continue fishing with in a thunderstorm." When I stopped laughing I replied.

"Have you never noticed lightning often strikes trees? You are no safer with a cane rod in a thunder storm than you are with a carbon one."

Cheers,
C.

Uncle was horse back and caught out in a storm, as he started to open a wire gate lighting ran through his hand to the reins and killed his horse dead. He later found where lightning had hit a tree that touched that wire fence almost a 1/4 mile from the killer gate.

Y'all be careful out there in the rain.

Serious question, all them lightning struck rods were held in the hand? and if you didn't have a rod and just held out your hand would the lighting know the difference?

Electricity ... path of least resistance. When you're talking a few million volts of pressure, it's a 100% guess as to what makes one target "more resistant" than another. But you can use conducting material to definitely provide a "less resistant" path. If you're the highest point ... say, in a boat or wading on open water ... then you automatically become the highest point.

However, pure H2O is an insulator ... electricity cannot flow through it. So, a boat floating in fresh water is not a very good target. Contaminants make at a better conductor, salt being a very good one when suspended in water.

If you're wading ... anchored to the bottom with chain or standing on the shore ... you are now connected to ground and double your chances of becoming a lightning rod.

Best advice I've ever gotten or given, when it comes to lightning. If you can hear thunder ... it's time to get off the water. The fish will still be there after the storms have cleared.

Best advice I've ever gotten or given, when it comes to lightning. If you can hear thunder ... it's time to get off the water.

Yep that's pretty much what I do these days. When I was young (and dumb) I admit I fished many times when I should not. Fished through a lot of storms with thunder & lightning flashes. Now a days I will fish in the rain but soon as I start to hear thunder I usually pack it in till it passes.

Years ago a friend were fishing in my little 12' boat and 3 hp motor across a bay from the landing. The bay had a center reef or spine ran almost the whole length of the bay averaging 6-8'. We of course fished this a lot but this time we'd crossed it to get some pocketed walleyes feeding in the rocks. The day was perfect for walleye. Heavy overcast, dead calm, and lowering ceiling as walleye worked baitfish up from deeper water to nail them in the shallow rocks. We were having one of those bumper when suddenly, and I mean with no rumbling in the distant warnings of any kind, we were in the middle of a torrential down pour and thunderstorm. Friend says fire it up and head straight to dock.

Well, we were about halfway between shore and when we'd cross that shallow reef when right where I'm watching the water literally blows a hole in it and lightning seems to burst out of the water and that crack of thunder too close to rumble tries to deafen us. I turned immediately and went to the nearest shore and proceeded to crawl along the shoreline with motor bumping occasional rocks. No way was I going to cross that reef after seeing lightning burst out of the water. Buddy bitching getting wet and freezing but I said that's better than dead.

I have always loved lightning storms when I'm not getting soaked and have gotten to see some weird things. One July 4th I was pissed because I had to work nights and would miss fireworks. They were called off because of weather anyway but while I was scooping pellets up (Reserve Mining) and dumping them into the trucks I was watching a heck of a lightning storm. The pellets would fill the bins that the boat loaders used to fill the ore boats in the harbor. The top of the bins is a couple hundred feet or more of metal building running the length of the silos. Suddenly a huge bolt smacked the roof on the far left side of the building and proceeded to send three tongues of electricity dancing and twisting the full length of the building until they suddenly made a big flash on the far end of the building and were gone. Asked guys working in building if their hair stood on end or anything and they said they never noticed a thing.

Another time I was on my home from work during a lightning storm and saw a "ball" of lightning come down from the sky. I'd heard of such a thing how rare they were and considered myself fortunate to have seen it. Looked like a red ball not much bigger than a basketball but kind of twisting inside of itself until it disappeared into the tree with flash or anything. Didn't move all that fast either like a bolt of lightning would but more like a fast drift down.

I was on my motorcycle in a storm in Chicago when about 2 blocks in front of a lightning blast that looked as big around as a telephone pole cracked against something I couldn't see. Did see in the papers next day they referred to that as a SuperStrike, of a lightning strike many many times the power of the average strike. Lightning, gotta love it if it doesn't kill ya.