Fly Tying
Old Hat

Royal Coachman Dry

I got lucky to do these for the Royal Swap. I'm not a big dry fly fisher and had never done these before. It took a little work and practice and advice from the classic forum to recover some nasty quills I purchased over the internet. Anyways, thought I would share and someone asked to see more flies from the swap. I didn't list the materials or the tying instructions, in the spirit of fun and creativity. The 2008 Hatches has a material list and I figured someone could just have as much fun as I did working the methods out. My point really is, challenge yourself to new patterns and techniques, especially the classic flies, it a great adventure our hobby.

I still think my wings are bit tall, but I am going with it.

Lookin' good, Old Hat! I agree with the wings, but very neatly tied. Great job and I hope you're having fun!

Jeff

Thanks all for the kind words. I must admit, even though this was my first attempt at tying these flies, they didn't start looking like this one until many trial and error. After about a dozen, I was able to tie ones that I thought I would be able to send to someone else. The hardest part was actually fitting all the materials along the shank without them looking like they were crowding each other, especially the the forward peacock and the rear of the hackle. The wings weren't as bad as I thought they would be but getting the right length was the biggest problem for me.

Uh...

One of the most beutiful old school pattern ever.

Very nice fly and well tied.

Claudia

Those wings do look a little long; :j_k: better send the whole lot to me and try again! :hyst: \

Super job in MHO!! :yahoo: