Fly Tying
GC59

Stripping basket WHY?

I just went back in time to read old forums about this topic, I couldn't find any reasons why one would be worth carrying so I ask why bother?

try fishing the active surf or plodding across windy flats without a basket and you may answer the question yourself...

'been there... 'done that... I also use it for active mobility and line management on the boat...

just sayin'...

DSCN0281_zpsxgtfvvh2.jpg

post-25465-0-91463100-1464743949_thumb.jpg

Managing loose line during long casts in high surf or strong wind can be a real problem. When you need to shoot a lot of line to reach the fish and you are fishing the cast almost in to the rod tip, you have a lot of loose line hanging around, The slightest tangle robs the next cast of energy and knocks your timing all to hell. In a boat, tangles on gear and fixtures do the same thing. From a float tube, stripped in line also can be very hard to control. The basket allows you to place stripped line in orderly segments on top of each other so they can be freely fed into the next cast.

Close-in casting to 50-75 yards and fishing the fly a long way from the rod tip in lanes eliminates the need to retrieve a lot of line and shoot the fly back to the fish. There is no real use for a basket in such common situations.

Rocco

try fishing the active surf or plodding across windy flats without a basket and you may answer the question yourself...

'been there... 'done that... just sayin'...

No try I have, Why?

'been there... 'done that... just sayin'...

No try I have, Why?

GC ... Yoda, he is!

I don't use a basket ... no real room for one on the front of the boat with me ... but there have been times that I've seriously considered it. Especially when I have a lot of line off the reel and have worked a fly back to the boat. As I start false casting the line back out, it sometimes hooks another rod, or paddle end, or my foot ... etc.

Like Rocco said, I can see how laying the line in basket puts it perfectly for making long shoots to get a lot of line back out quickly.

Stripping baskets for fresh water is generally not needed. Fishing saltwater surf they are definitely needed unless you like fly line rushing to and fro all around you and 75 feet down the beach, up the beach, out to sea, with crashing waves fouling and crossing it up in every imaginable tangle possible as your attempting to put that line 80' back into the surf in 15 mph winds.

Its all about line management, if your wading and the waters moving your not shooting much line without a basket. If your on the riverbank your line will hook on anything it can possibly find lol I swear ill be trying to reach a bass that just breached about 60' away and my line will tangle around a 2" plant sprout! Never fails.

Even fishing shooting heads in a rocky spate river a basket can be useful. Managing loops removes the need for a basket but is not easy with cold fingers or gloves.

The biggest fresh water application I know of is fishing around river mouths and off of jetties and docks in the Great Lakes -- a lot like salt water fly fishing -- and float tube fly casting, an art I never mastered as w/o my legs firmly planted my casts are miserable things.

Rocco

A stripping basket will eliminate about 10 false casts in certain situations, and sometimes, otherwise, nearly impossible casts. Like full sink line in cold weather with a rocky bottom. If you let the line drop to your side before casting it will tangle in the rocks down by your feet. Coiling it on your left hand is tricky at best and very difficult with cold hands. Weedy bottoms are just as bad, the line coils around every piece of weed in the lake near by. Around here in cold weather, if you are going to catch trout you are going to be using full sink line and nymphs, crawdads or buggers down near the bottom along the edges of drops, you need to cast enough line to get to that drop or the edge of the ledge. This means you have a lot of line at your side sitting on the bottom. With a stripping basket you can accomplish a nice smooth cast with about two false casts and all goes shooting out.

Mike pointed out the boat situation. For some reason I don't use a basket in the boat, I should because if there is anything within about 8 ft the line can catch on it will lol. When I had a tiller steering boat it invariably caught on the tiller or motor cover. I'm forever stepping on the line under my feet in the boat. Anchor / anchorline/another rod/cooler/lunch bag/spare jug of motor oil even though most of that bottle is tucked under the side access hatch, the neck is sticking out. What ever, if it's there the line will tangle on it.

A 4-6 lb. sea trout doesn't require reeling them in and I guarantee you if I get them in close to land them and I've got 60 feet of line laying in the water around me you can bet that fish will find way to get it all tangled up quick. Stripping the line back into the basket as I fight the fish...no problem. AND I'm back fishing a lot sooner.

I have never used one because I have been too cheap to buy one but really should. In the boat I usually stand on the bow deck or stern bench and just strip the line into the cockpit area, or if there is little drift, I stand on the edge of the boat and strip into the water. Sometimes I do use a 5 gallon bucket at my feet and that works well. If you ever want to fish from jetty rocks, you will absolutely want a stripping basket, because your line can not only get tangled at your feet on those slippery and jagged rocks, but the rocks can nick the hell out of your line. Don't ask me how I knowwacko.png

Why? Because you need one sometimes! I alway's thought can do without it, looked at the c&f a few times, but seemed a bit small, then thought stuff if! Asked my friend to order it, he asked which size? What? They have 3 sizes, i ordered medium! In a float tube there is striped line all over your lap & now & then gets tangled on places! Coastal seatrout fishing you can have all your striped line floating away from you & hard to feed it in casting, or it's not windy & line is everywhere around you, but under your foot when your trying to cast cos' you moved spots a bit, or like Josephcsylvia said, from the bank there will always be a 2" stick or grass shoot, that's just how it is!

I have to admit they are unduly expensive, when a rectangular tupperware container will due. The official baskets though, have the cones protruding up off the bottom, and that helps stop tangles. Still, all they are is blow molded plastic, probably cost $1.89 to make.