Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Saltybum

Down but not out

Had carpel tunnel and ulnar nerve surgery two days ago on my right arm. It may be a few weeks before I can actually fish but I just had to see if I could at least tie a little. Can only read so much before going stir crazy. Fortunately I'm left handed but it was still a challenge. I think it'll fish.

post-44758-0-10090200-1479512499_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-78060700-1479512528_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-13997700-1479512544_thumb.jpg

I had this surgery on my right arm also few yrs ago.I am right handed.Was loosing my grip and dropping things alot.The carpel tunnel heals pretty quick.Elbow took a little longer.One thing that really helped was keeping my arm up.It would throb like a tooth ache when i let it hang.When sleeping i kept it up on a pillow and it eases the pain.Keep it higher than your heart.Lot's of tylenol.I think they gave me hydrocodone.Tylenol did more for the pain relief.

Now i don't have the numbness any more in the fingers and no more wrist cramps when tying flies and my grip is a hell of a lot stronger.

Hang in there Salty.It will heal up quicker than you think.

Thanks for the encouraging words Steve.

I was having rough nights with the numbness and when fly fishing I would completely lose the line while hauling and have a heap of line dropping where ever. So far pain is pretty mild, hope it stays that way. Hope to be back fishing by the first.

Hope you get back to it soon Salty. Love the fly, should do well on the usual critters

Have worked on dozens of projects involving cumulative trauma syndromes, the surgical outcomes are usually very good. Occupational therapy or physical therapy really helped my people.. good luck and take care, Salty

In 1994 i had both hands destroyed by carpel-tunnel surgery. Be thankful they only did one hand.

The 2-3 weeks after that my GF was basically my nurse... i think she left me over that.

Today i still can not write very legibly, and it hinders my trying to make precision cuts on flies.

I over came the wrapping some time ago, but my glaucoma has started to hinder that over the last 2-3 years.

I am only 50 and that hand surgery was in 1994.

At least my hands don't feel like they are asleep anymore...But???

I hope you fair better than i did!

Thanks for all the support. Sure will be glad to get this brace off after two weeks. Then it's light duty for a while. In the mean time I'll try to tie a couple more flies.

Salty: Think I live close-by; are there any spots you need me to check on for you while you heal-up? ;)

Seriously, hope all goes well in recovery and you back to posting reports on your flies and it's eaters real soon!!

Andrew