Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

Pheasant tail nymph

Hi I am tying a Pheasant tail nymph but when I am winding the bunch of barbs I can't get all the way to where I tie in the wing case. T tip separate and I can't hold the tips what can I do

Well first of all, use the longest fibers from the center tail. Tie in your tail fibers from a different set of fibers, and tie in the fibers used to wrap the abdomen over those by the very tips. Then you should have enough fiber to wrap an abdomen. Or you could just tie a smaller nymph.

If none of the above work, I suggest you tie in the tail and cut off forward of the tail.. Cut another bunch of pheasant tail fibers and wrap the abdomen.

Or your fly might be too big for your feathers, which was said above. I like a PT in about a 16, and you won't have any problems wrapping that the conventional way.

If you are not already doing so, you can use hackle pliers to grasp the ends of your fibers. That way you can wrap to almost the end of the fibers with ease. Just be mindful that all fibers are wrapping properly and adjust the pliers accordingly. I find that I really like using the rotary style hackle pliers for this task.

What size ..PT nymph…are you tying ….if it's a size 14 or smaller, I use six fibers, and I tie the tail and abdomen and then the wing case and also the legs too, all with the same six fibers …..like they say you should use longer fibers mine are about a inch long or a little smaller ….I also use a gold bead too…..ok... KOKOEK9

hi thanks for your suggestions, I am tying on a 3906B hook size 10 that is probablyu part of it

Why do you want such a large pheasant tail nymph? Generally speaking, the pheasant tail nymph imitates a mayfly nymph. As such, they are usually on the smaller side. I have tied them on size 12 R200 hooks, but never had much luck fishing them in that size. Most productive sizes are size 16 and smaller (as small as you can see to tie.)

And yes, that's probably too big for all but the longest ring neck pheasant tail fibers.

because I am a stupid newbie who has never even tried to tie on anything smaller than 10. I just got somec12s today so I will be going down a size next fly

No... you're not a stupid newbie. You are a new tier yet to be enlightened. Which you are in the process of being now.

Hi KOKOEK9,

One of the most common problems that I notice about this pattern is that folks tend to tie the tail length way too long. They are tied in very short. You also, like others have written, have to use five to seven barbs so it looks right. Here's a pic that I saved from an eBay auction where the seller never bothered replying back to me about shipping to the States.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-08856000-1392414988_thumb.jpg

because I am a stupid newbie who has never even tried to tie on anything smaller than 10. I just got somec12s today so I will be going down a size next fly

If you are uncomfortable tying in the smaller sizes at this point, try tying patterns that are more suited to the sizes you are comfortable using. There is no sense tying small insect patterns in a huge size. Size matters quite a bit. (or so I've been told)

Hey…KOKOEK9…... Don't down yourself, about being a newbie ,…because all of us on this forum at one time or another were newbies also, even if they don't want to admit it ….this is what this forum is for …to get information and answers about tying fly's, or just talking about fly tying and fishing. ….. " The old saying go's practice makes perfect " …… good luck - you will be tying 20's in no time …….KOKOEK9