Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

chartreuse / lime thread problems

I am looking for a chartreuse thread that wont snap like cotton. So far I have used Uni and UTC and all 4 spools snap like cotton. I've never had a problem with any other colours in these brands and cant find the colour in Benecchi or GG shear that I normally use.

I am reluctant to buy another brand as I've convinced myself its something in the dying of this colour that weakens the thread.

Anyone used a brand that remains together for an entire fly?

I guess it depends on what you are tying, but I use a lot of Danville flat waxed in chatreuse and have no problems

Veevus, haven't seen that in Chartreuse. I'll have a better look.

Danville is a thread I haven't used in any colours. 210 denier is ok for my salmon flies. Especially if it lies flat.

Cheers for that. I thought it was a bad spool but 2 unis and 2 UTC over different dates and from different shops, could I be that unlucky with bad spools?

Ive liked the veevus in other colours so ill take the risk on their chartreuse.

Provided that the shops were 'distributed to' by different distributors (or those that sold the shops their thread), then I'd agree that the chances are - they came from different lots - maybe. But.... if they aren't then....

Dates??? Are we talking 6 months date differential or weeks.... ah.. maybe.

Just an opinion.

dates #2

where do you find the manufacturing date of any tying threads or even materials?

is the defect in the first few feet or the entire spool?

Appears to be right through, you have 20cm maybe that wraps well and then a 20cm portion that is weak. All the way to the spool. The first spool I stripped off half the spool thinking it was a storage issue or UV perished but no luck. The spool live in a drawer in the dark and no other colours ever had an issue, just this lime chartreuse.

I've ensured thread is unspun so its not a case of tightness as it winds on during tying. Very annoying.

I'll take the risk on some veevus and see how it performs.

I've run into occasional spools of thread which are crap, as you describe. Not any particular color or make though. It is annoying. I use Danville 6/0 waxed chartreuse all the time, and haven't had issues.

I've experienced the same thing with Danville 70 denier. It never occurred to me that it was the color that was the problem until now. It is the only color of the same denier thread that breaks so easily.

Thats the thing Shoe. Same makers threads from same shops in same day purchase are fine. It just seems to be this colour and across 2 brands so far.

I'll try the veevus and go from there.

Battenkill, nope not the bobbin or user error. Just that specific colour of thread.