Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Stuntsurvivalist

Whip finish

I here people say it and on the videos i see them use the tool. And at the end of my tie i guess try to do a half hitch and put head cocncrete on. And feel if i dont have a whip finish it will just unravel. So i gues my question it is it a have to do it or is it to make a better hold?

Its all personal preference but in my opinion I feel like I get a stronger fly after a whip finish. The whip finishing tools are cheap but you don't even need a tool to whip finish. Its a good skill to learn though, I'd reccomend it.

no its not a have to do but it is a good technique to learn either by using a whip finish tool or learning to whip finish by hand

you can also finish of the fly with half hitches or crazy glue

its head cement not head concrete

GOOGLE "whip finish" for different methods

I whip finish because I like to. It's part of the fun of fly tying, for me. I use the Matarelli and the Thompsons whip finishers.

If you are using some kind of head cement (not concrete) or glue, then you don't really need anything more than a half hitch or two. In my experience ... I've had fish bust the threads of a head loose more times than I can count ... and it didn't matter how I'd finished them.

If you have a fly on long enough for the fish to tear it apart ... then it's time to cut it off and tie on a new one.

its head cement not head concrete

If you are using some kind of head cement (not concrete)

You posted while I was typing my reply.

I advocate choice. If you only learn to use a tool, you can only use a tool. No choice. The only way to choose the best method is to become proficient at them all. It will take a while but unless you can use every method you'll not find the best for you.

Cheers,

C.

Until you learn to whip finish I would suggest 2 drops of super glue liquid over head cement.

My first flies were pan fish flies, I couldn't whip finish either. The stream behind my house you might catch 200 panfish/rock bass per day. The poorly tied flies with head cement would occasionally unravel, whereas the super glued flies never did and I still have them today.

Watch a lot of different videos. If you're like me, you'll find someone whose explanation makes sense and it will suddenly all click. And practice with just a hook and thread so you can get the technique down where you don't have to worry about materials getting in the way.

Like others said, half hitches are usually fine until you get the hang of it.

Until you learn to whip finish I would suggest 2 drops of super glue liquid over head cement.

My first flies were pan fish flies, I couldn't whip finish either. The stream behind my house you might catch 200 panfish/rock bass per day. The poorly tied flies with head cement would occasionally unravel, whereas the super glued flies never did and I still have them today.

Watch a lot of different videos. If you're like me, you'll find someone whose explanation makes sense and it will suddenly all click. And practice with just a hook and thread so you can get the technique down where you don't have to worry about materials getting in the way.

Like others said, half hitches are usually fine until you get the hang of it.

Ok im sure i have super glue somewhere Thanks.

If you go to Ace Hardware, you should be able to find Krazy Glue in a bottle with a brush applicator, like fingernail polish. It won't dry up like those tubes, where you use them once and next time you want it, the nozzle is glued solid.

I forced myself to sit and practice a whip finish by hand with thread and a bare hook. Over and over and over.....

Granted, it's completely different than finishing a dressed fly. You will, however, get the idea eventually and be able to gain confidence in a hand whip-finish.

I prefer to use a tool as I think they are really cool, but I often whip finish by hand.

It's an easy knot to tie, learn it for the fun of learning something new. innocent.gif