Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FattyMatt

what else to take to Mexico?

So far I have tied the following for boca paila next month:

6 Charlies (more to come - just got tan, orange, white, pink and chart bucktails)

10 gotchas (with and without crazy legs)

8 bonefish bitters

5 borski sliders

3 ep shrimp

6 merkin crabs

2 Kwans

2 greg's flats flies

4 tarpon toads

10 ep minnows (everglades special, peanut bunkers)

10 classic clousers

10 classic lefty deceivers

Is there anything glaringly obvious Im missing? My focus next week will be Charlies and blind Charlies with all this new bucktail.

Any critique on the patterns pictured here?

I'm going after bonefish first, I've never caught one. Next permit, then baby tarpon, redfish, jacks, etc.

Thanks guys!

Mattpost-51578-0-59033000-1424326746_thumb.jpg

For fishing ... I think you're set. Honestly, if you don't catch anything on that set of flies, there are any fish there.

Things to take:

JS suggested weapons ... not a bad idea, if you're qualified to use them.

A water purifier, or at least anti-diarrhea medication.

I've read that gotchas will cover everything, ofcourse different sizes & colours! Less is more! You'll spend more time fishing if you're not changing flies all day! Remember presentation & don't flog the water! Have fun!

Is there anything glaringly obvious Im missing?

Guns. Lots and lots of ammo.

How do I get my 12 gauge through customs?

I've heard of smugglers swallowing drugs in plastic bags ... maybe you could disassemble it and swallow the pieces?

I've heard of smugglers swallowing drugs in plastic bags ... maybe you could disassemble it and swallow the pieces?

Drugs are also non-metallic, so I don't think he would be making it through the metal detectors if he goes with that option haha

Drugs are also non-metallic, so I don't think he would be making it through the metal detectors if he goes with that option haha

Fake doctors note, I've got a metal hip! Haha ;)

I would take Bob Veverka mantis shrimp pattern, where I live the bones just kill them. The nice thing is they work just as well on sand or grass, dark or light bottom flats. I have found that they really key in on the sili legs, no matter the pattern.

Rick

I would take Bob Veverka mantis shrimp pattern, where I live the bones just kill them. The nice thing is they work just as well on sand or grass, dark or light bottom flats. I have found that they really key in on the sili legs, no matter the pattern.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I was eyeing that pattern, I'll try my first one tonight. I'm excited to read that because most of my gotchas have silly legs. Here's a couple I did with spanflex and loco legs for twice the rubber action.post-51578-0-28601600-1424382531_thumb.jpgpost-51578-0-53978800-1424382561_thumb.jpgpost-51578-0-43051100-1424382745_thumb.jpg

Rick

Thanks Rick. I was eyeing that pattern, I'll try my first one tonight. I'm excited to read that because most of my gotchas have silly legs. Here's a couple I did with spanflex and loco legs for twice the rubber action.attachicon.gif20150219_121537.jpgattachicon.gif20150219_164224.jpgattachicon.gif20150219_164428.jpg

You can also do a light barring on the wing if you need to change it up. I will carry a sharpie with me if I need to change things up a little. On the mantis shrimp I have noticed a big difference when I leave out the orange rabbit fur, I always include it now...