Fly Tying

The Animas is one of those rivers that can either be amazing, or terrible! I have fished it many times getting skunked, and I also have fished it where I have excellent days! Today was an excellent day. While none of the fish were monsters, I did catch lots of them. And they were very fun. I got to fish with my buddy Carter, and he also brought one of his friends who has only been fishing for a little while. He was able to catch a wild rainbow for the first time. He had caught trout before, but never wild trout, always stockers in ponds and lakes.

I fished all day with that new zealand indicator system. It seemed like the trout weren't fully committing to the flies, and just making little nibbles. This means that without a sensitive indicator, I would have missed lots of bites. In fact thats why I think Carter and Eric didnt catch as many fish, I saw their indicators barely move a few times, which is hard to detect.

Also, I fished all day with 2 flies. One was the GTI Caddis, and the other was more of a simple dubbed caddis. I have tied the GTI Caddis before on camera, and here is that link... https://youtu.be/-lszOLv1gbQ

First the San Juan now the Animas, stop, just stop. Hahahaah

Any other rivers close to me fishable this year? If so, Ill gladly fish them... haha

Any other rivers close to me fishable this year? If so, Ill gladly fish them... haha

Piedra, Pinos? I'm hitting the South Platte tomorrow

Pinos is private most of the river, wish I knew someone that owns a streatch.

For some reason I thought the piedra was not fishable this time of year, but Ill check it out.

As for the south platte, isnt that up near Denver? Thats like a 6 hour drive.... and its winter so somewhat dangerous through the mountains.

For some reason I thought the piedra was not fishable this time of year, but Ill check it out.

As for the south platte, isnt that up near Denver? Thats like a 6 hour drive.... and its winter so somewhat dangerous through the mountains.

about an hour SW of Denver. I got 2 browns, a cuttbow and an 18" rainbow. Was 60 and partly cloudy. Winter is pretty mild down here so far. You can just blast over the passes.

about an hour SW of Denver. I got 2 browns, a cuttbow and an 18" rainbow. Was 60 and partly cloudy. Winter is pretty mild down here so far. You can just blast over the passes.

yeah, 6 hour drive for me