Fly Tying
Swampfoxforeman

Best way to dry wet flies

I don't worry about it. I've got one compartment in my box that is empty when I start the day. It's where all my take-off flies go. My box isn't "water proof" so they dry out in there, just fine.

I never worry about drying flies until I get off the water.

I put the used/wet fly back in one of my fly boxes facing the opposite direction. If its a dry fly, I will shake in will fumed silica first. When I get home, I throw the wet/used flies on a foam mat that sits on my tying desk. When they're dry, I brush/fluff them out if needed, and put them back in the box they originally came from.

My bag has a foam pad in the front compartment my wet flys go there along with a few of my most used patterns for easy access.

I just shake them off and put them back in my sealed box, where they came from. When I get back to the tent, cabin, or home I open the box and let the whole thing dry out.

It's usually not a problem for me though, I usually lose all my flies in the bushes so I don't have to worry about drying them. smile.png

A wine cork hanging from my lanyard. Sometimes I lose one from the cork but I don't care. For really big flies when I have my pack I Also use a foam hanger located on the inside of a front pocket.

a false cast or two, blow on the fly and put them back in your fly box

blink.png I'm trying to wacko.png resist ... huh.png ... I can't.

"Blow on the fly" won't work for everyone. We're not all as full of hot air as you, flytire. wink.png

I've lost few flies from foam patch on my vest because they're barbless. These days I just drop them in a small pocket in my vest and sort and dry them out when I get home.

I have a plastic box (a Sucrets box when they were making them from plastic) into which I've drilled a number of holes. I put wet flies into it, and it goes into the ventilated inner pocket of my vest. The flies dry quickly.

I read somewhere about taping a small sack of silica pellets that you get in some packages onto the inside of a fly box to help dry it out.

I tried it briefly, but didn't like it, as it sometimes would mess with the profile of my flies.

https://www.blueribbonflies.com/finsport-fly-keeper.html?id=31195244&quantity=1

Above is what I use. I've had it for over 5 years. It's $20, but who deserves it more than I? I don't buy the replacement foam. I find a foam patch that fits and glue it down. I've also drilled some holes in small plastic boxes. etc. It's all good and depends on your preference.