Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Lamson Micra 5 Litespeed vs Ross Animas

I'm in the process of creating an outfit for nymphing; as such, I have already picked the rod (Cortland Competition Nymph Fly rod, 10"5 3 wt) and looking at these reels: the Lamson Micra 5 Litespeed 1.5 vs the Ross Animas, also a 1.5.

I would be interested in your comments, mainly as to which is a better reel, given the price point is almost the same. Thanks...

I don't have experience with the Lamson Litespeed, but I do have an Animas and it is an excellent reel. Retrieve direction is easy to change, the drag is smooth and does not have any start up inertia problems. Aside from the price which is not low, it is one of the best reels I have so far had. I do have 4 Lamson Liquid reels and they are all good reels.

I have had my Lamson Radius reel for going on 9 years. I have never had a problem with it. I use it now for inshore salt water fishing and the drag is handling that fine. Since the drag system in all the Lamson reels is the same, I will say it would be more than adequate for trout fishing. My reel is a 3.5, and through the years I have landed many salmon, musky, and Redfish over 40". In my experience, the Lamson would handle anything you can catch in freshwater. I see them as low as $219 (Seirra Trading Post,) while the Ross is about $40.00 dollars more on Amazon. BOTH are fine reels, and you won't go wrong either way.

I have 3 Lamson reels. A 10wt Micra, an 8wt Guru, and a 9wt litespeed. I have caught bonefish on the 8wt Guru, even after a full dunking in saltwater. My 10wt has held up on big sharks and even king salmon in heavy river current. Honestly, I have no reason to sell any of my Lamsons, as they have been great to me thus far. Highly recommend!

I have never used a Ross reel however, so I can't comment on them.

Thank you all for responding; I have decided to go with the Lamson Micra 5 Litespeed... mainly because I already have a Lamson Guru II and really like it.

Nice! You will really like that reel.

Off topic- but a guide once told me that all the drags in Lamson reels are all the same? Is that true or was he wrong?

Flats

Off topic- but a guide once told me that all the drags in Lamson reels are all the same? Is that true or was he wrong?

Flats

While I can't say about reels I don't have ... I can say there are only so many ways you can install a drag system on a reel. Many companies find a drag system that works and stick with it for years. If something new comes along, they might make the change then.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If Lamson's found a drag they deem perfect, then that system would be installed on all reels.

Based on the rod you have described, I will assume that you are going to use it for the "high stick nymphing" technique. You rod choice is excellent. I use a 10 foot 3 weight Syndicate Nymph rod and I love it. It is the only rod I use for nymph fishing the the GSMNP, and I have caught lots of fish with this rod and this method. As for reels? I don't think it really matters much. At least in my experience, I have never used the reel when high stick fishing for anything other than line storage. The weight of the reel could come into play here. Some experts say that a heavier reel will balance the rod better. However, in my case, I have decided on the lightest reel I can find as when using such a light weight reel my arm does not get fatigued nearly as much as it does when using a heavier reel, and being plagued with psoriatic arthritis, the total weight of rod/reel/line becomes important. An inexpensive $50 Dam reel works fine for me.

Joe

Joe: thanks for the response; I'm just getting started nymph fishing, and am happy to hear that my choice of rods was a good one! As far as the reel, I found the Lamson on sale at $158 off regular price, and since I already have "history" with the Lamson brand, that is what I decided to purchase.

Now, I need to put it all together and learn how to fish using the "high stick method"; here in Spokane, WA, we are fortunate to have the Spokane River go through downtown and it offers many places to fish without driving for hours.

Thanks again for the input...

Rolf (Spokane Dude)

Yes, that's true. The Vanquish had a very slightly different material makeup, but the design was the same. The rest of the Lamson line all uses the same materials and design.

Nice! You will really like that reel.

Flats