Fly Tying
walpy

Foam for Gurglers

I want to try and tie up some Gurglers (because they look fun)...

I don't know what thickness of foam sheets I should buy? I see 2mm through 1" thickness in online stores.

Thanks!

Hi walpy,

Peter Frailey came up with a Gurgle pop that's along the same lines. His step by step is here with all of the info for the materials to tie it.

Regards,

Mark

Jack Gartside used 2mm, feel free to use 1mm

Doubled or tripled. But 2-4mm all work fine. I get my foam everywhere. Walmart- amazon- craft shops And fly shops too

I love using Gurgler's for panfish and bass; they work great, are fast and easy to tie, and are super cheap.

All I've ever used is foam sheets from either Wal-mart or the big craft stores, 2mm.

A while back, I accidentally bought a big variety pack of foam sheets with adhesive on one side, but was pleasantly surprised when I found out that two sheets will hold together surprisingly well when the two sticky sides are put together. Great for creating a thicker foam sheet as well as creating layered colors on one fly.

Michael's is only about 2 miles from me, so I get all my foam from them. Problem with Walmart is they usually only have assortment packs. of 6 by 9" sheets. Many color you may not use. Michael's sells a 12 by 18" sheet of 2mm for about a buck, and you can get the colors you want. It's even cheaper with a coupon. ALWAYS use a coupon when shopping at Michael's or Joann Fabrics.

Pretty much what everyone else said. I get mine at craft stores. Much cheaper than at a fly shop. I use mostly 2 mm or 3 mm foam. I catch most fish when I use gurglers with either white or yellow. I've had some issues with sticky back foam when making two tone flies. I've had the foam separate a few times when wrapping it down on the hook.

I catch most fish when I use gurglers with either white or yellow.

Green works well for me, as well as white and yellow.

I tied some up with red and had one really good day with them, but it was only that one day, for some reason. They never did well again. Strange

I'll agree with everybody else about micheals or craft store foam. Buy the single sheets for a buck as the variety packs seem to be thinner. In not sure how thick the single sheets are but I don't think they are quite 2MM but they are close enough. I fish a lot of gurglers and I've never felt a need to double or glue multiple sheets together. I do tie hoppers where I glue three sheets together. No need to over think it, simply super glue the pieces together as needed.

Fly tying foam is a rip off.

Foam is fun and the sky is the limit! Ive made frogs, turtles, hoppers, divers, stoneflies shrimp(gurglers), etc. You could do searches.

IMG-4554.png

IMG-3040.jpg

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help & info!

I'll make a pit stop at Michaels when I'm out running errands this week for sure.