Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

R.I.P Mimzy

Had to put my sweet little baby girl Mimzy down this morning. Probably the sweetest most loving kitty I've ever had. She started going downhill fast yesterday though and she's been too good a cat to let her suffer. After 14 yrs it sure is going to be different without her. I miss her already. She was the biggest lap cat I've ever seen. Gonna be weird watching tv at night without her curled up in my lap sad.png

I'm so sorry to hear this. I've had to put down more furry friends than I care to think about. Its never easy, but you owe it to them to do them a final service by not letting them suffer. Condolences !!

Thank you for the phone call, Steve. I hope it helped.

My sincere condolences. We can only wish they'd live as long as we do. My mother-in-law has a plaque up on the wall, goes something like this.

"Every time a pet dies, it takes a piece of your human heart with it.

Every time you get a new pet, it gives you some of it's heart."

"I can only hope that as I age, I am becoming a better person through

their gifts."

I know how it feels to lose a pet. my dog died, and I felt terrible. I can imagine how you feel right now.

Steve,

I saw this yesterday but I just could bring myself to respond at the time. Sorry for that. I hope you understand.

Wow. I can sympathize, I just lost my dog right before Christmas. We have both have had a similar year or so, this just tears everything open again. I'm glad you recognized what was happening and were able to make the call. I think not taking action at the end is my worst fear as a pet owner. Animals are very good at hiding pain and illness, cats particularly so. So thank you for that. I wish there was something I could say or do but we both know that it only goes but so far. I hope you can find some respite where you can. Be well and know that I am thinking about you and your family.

Swamp

P.S. I have a 16+ pound Norwegian Forest cat that would live in my lap if I let him. I like big cats, they tend to be less neurotic on average!

Thanks everyone. It was a hard choice to have to take her yesterday and say goodbye. It was the right choice for her for sure. She was going downhill the last few days but didn't seem to be in pain till late Thursday evening. Then I could tell she had got to the point where what was best for her was to ease her pain. I spent the last night together with her laying next to her on the floor because she didn't want me to hold her, but she seemed like she did want to be near me. So I just put a pillow down next to her and spent the night awake petting her. Hardest thing was watching her go away when they injected her. I wanted to be with her all the way to the end so I stayed and kept rubbing her head till she was gone. Such a hard choice to make but it was the right one. It's the last act of love you can do for your pet when they are not going to get better and are starting to feel pain. I've had to do it 3 times before this, and will have to probably do it again down the road with my other two cats. Never gets any easier though that's for sure.

It's hard too to watch the cats who are left behind search the house for the one that was lost. Fortunately they do adjust and sometimes one will spring forth showing traits of a new personality. We have put too many down over the years but it just needs to be done and I fully understand your position Steve. The last of our long term cats was put down towards spring 2019, at Christmas 2018 she enjoyed being under the Christmas tree as usual but I noticed then her fur changing and eyes not looking just right and told her I think this may be your last Christmas Cera ( my wife named her Cera) and it was her last Christmas. Her brother, sister and Mr Mom ( our big male Theo who adopted them in as His Kittens when we brought them home found abandoned on the side of the road leaving one of our favorite fishing holes boat ramp road years before) all went down before her. And the nearly 20 yo queen of the house Sadie too. Someone had just dumped these kittens there. They weren't strays or wild because they came right to my wife as she got out of the truck to go round them up that evening back in 2005 or so. They were sweet cats for years but really Cera came into her own after her sister Abbey passed and Winston too after Mr Mom passed. Winston decided he was the man of the house after Theo went and Cera the queen after Sadie and her sister passed. It's interesting to watch but I never thought so many were going in a two or or three or so year period. It was a whole shift in the household, now we have two bozo brothers 4 years old. Never seen any cats who act as these two do. But ya, we adjust and always remember each for their own ways. We have never been catless in 46 years of marriage though, they're too much part of the household here despite 5 kids and 13 grands and 1 great grand.

Because they have shorter life spans than we do I've had to deal with this multiple times in 75 years and know how hard it is to lose a pet, especially one who has really endeared themselves to you. Sorry for your loss. After we lost a really great dog the wife said no more dogs. We now have two and it took a while but they're filled the spot of the one we lost last.

Nick

As an ER veterinarian I have to euthanize many pets. We do them a favor. I have had to put down several of my own, and I empathize and sympathize. I hope you continue to give a home to pets. Even though it hurts, the joy far outweighs the pain.

Sorry to read about Mimzy Steve- It's been a while since our family has lost a pet. We currently have a puppy and a cat. The cat is somewhere around 14 and most certainly on life #9 at this point. He was pretty much feral and living a very hard life when we took him in. We have never been able to get him to become an indoor cat and his outdoor adventures have cost me upwards of bamboo fly rod money. Still I will be very sad when the inevitable day arrives that we have to put him down.

Not as much as Mimzy would. Orangie will lay in my lap for about 20-30mins at a time but he's weird and will just jump up for no reason at supersonic speed after a short amount of time.