Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

UV resin

I'm throwing away my old Clear Goo UV resin. Because of my frugal nature I tried to make the stuff work but I'm fed up.

I ordered three kinds of Loon resin today and when it gets here my Clear Goo is toast.

I didn't know, until I spent a few minutes on the internet, how inferior my Goo was. Now I know.

Signed...Sick-up and fed of it

Yep I have some non loon uv cement I think it is ccg terrible stuff stinks so bad, now that you bring it up I'm thinking about it I don't think I've seen it in a year or 2 maybe more.

Silvercreek also makes and sells uv cement I need to buy some of his product soon as I hear it is quite good, he's a pretty smart and talented dude even for this forum that certainly has a higher percentage of incredibly skilled individuals than normal.

Yep I have some non loon uv cement I think it is ccg terrible stuff stinks so bad, now that you bring it up I'm thinking about it I don't think I've seen it in a year or 2 maybe more.

Silvercreek also makes and sells uv cement I need to buy some of his product soon as I hear it is quite good, he's a pretty smart and talented dude even for this forum that certainly has a higher percentage of incredibly skilled individuals than normal.

Hmm, I didn't know he did that. I think I would like to talk to him about getting some.. Mr. Creek, you there? Would you please PM me?

i have both solarez and silvercreek resins and its solarez bone dry for me (silvercreek doesnt always cure tack free, at least in some applications)

yqbuCFu.jpg

i have both solarez and silvercreek resins and its solarez bone dry for me (silvercreek doesnt always cure tack free, at least in some applications)

yqbuCFu.jpg

Flytire,

PM me with your issues. I will replace your bottle.

All great information. I have some Loon stuff on the way, but I would probably try a few different kinds. It's expensive stuff though. I haven't seen any of Silvercreek's around, can you PM me with the details Silvercreek?

All great information. I have some Loon stuff on the way, but I would probably try a few different kinds. It's expensive stuff though. I haven't seen any of Silvercreek's around, can you PM me with the details Silvercreek?

Done.

Don't throw the clear goo away if it's simply a matter of tackiness, just cover it with Sally hansons or wipe it with an alcohol pad.

Thanks for the good advise. I also have some of the Clear Goo Hydro that I've been putting over it, it still seems less than Ideal.

It seems like some of it just never hardens under the the outside surface. Seems like its always oozing out of the fly head, most especially on the Goo head streamers and Thunder Creek Streamers. Could there be a cure (so to speak) for that, like a catalyst I could put the head into harden the whole thing?

I still have some CCG left. As far as I know they're no longer in business. At least I haven't seen any in awhile. Maybe the catalogs I get don't carry it anymore. I had that problem with it on some bait fish patterns where I put it on to thickly in the head area and it didn't cure all the way through. Didn't realize it until I opened the fly box I'd put them in and that unique smell hit me. When I squeezed them the resin leaked out. Just started using lesser amounts. I liked the Hydro. I use it mainly by putting a very light coat on my bait fish patterns so they would hold their body shape. I found a Solarez product that does the same thing. As I empty the bottles I clean them out with alcohol and then pour in whichever product I'm using in them. Very few of the products come with a brush. I actually like a bit of tackiness, particularly on my foam patterns. I apply MOP transfer foil to the tacky UV resin which gives my poppers and crease flies and extra sparkle without having to mix sparkle into the resin. I just wipe them down with an alcohol pad and the tackiness is gone.

I bet mica powders like pearlex would be great for coloring uv resins, hadn't thought of that before I'll have to give it a shot.