Fly Tying
Patriot

Back from the San Juan River in New Mexico

I left on 18 JAN 2020 and arrived back home on 25 JAN 2020. The weather was in the 20's in the early morning, but warmed up later on. On Thursday, 23 JAN, the day was summer like. I do not know the daytime temps because I was too busy fishing to care. Wind was slight to non-existent. Perfect, IOW's.

The river taught me a huge lesson: big, ugly flies = big fish!! I have always fished the tiny midges, etc but have NEVER used large flies on this river. This revelation came about when I - just for the heck of it - tried an olive green 'matuka' that some nice lady gave me on my last trip to this river back in the fall of 2017. A fish hit it hard and broke the 6x tippet. Shock! That night I tied three more similar ugly flies on #10 hooks that I've packed around for decades. They were so old I had to use a diamond file to sharpen them. The following day I lost two of those flies to break offs (same 6x Rio tippet material ...), but they refused to hit the fly which was adorned with grizzly feathers. Picky rascals.

I visited the local fly shop on my way out and purchase some black and olive rabbit zonker material and back to the tying bench I went. I had never tied these before so I had some learning to do. Anyway, I tied six or so and was good to go.

The next day I tried most of these flies, but it was the one pictured below that caught the biggest fish I have ever taken in my life. It took 30 minutes or so to bring it to net. My net is 18" in length and her tail stuck out quite a ways. Needless to say, we were both beat. The bow was fine when I released her, my arm was not. I went back to the same location and hooked another fish nearly the same size, but she was not as spunky as the first. I was grateful for that. Shortly after that I realized I was completey fished out. I was happy and ready to head back home to my family. I do not think I have ever felt 'fished out', but I was.

The attached image is not that great, but it should give some idea of what this fly looks like.

post-61757-0-66572200-1580074315_thumb.jpg

I had a heck of a time trying to attach my image. Kept getting some Flash message which I was forced to select and then my post vanished. Technology!!!!!!!!!

I switched over to FireFox and was finally able to upload the image.

Good story. Congrats on a personal best.

No picture of the fish?

My hands are full when I'm landing a fish alone. I would never think of dragging a beautiful trout to the bank for a photo. My cousin told me I need to get a GoPro8, which I have ordered (ouch$$$) together with a chest strap. I watched a video where some guy attached his GoPro to his fishing net handle. I would have never thought of that. The resultant video - above and below the water - was great.

I'm learning, I'm learning, ...

Thanks!

I had a heck of a time trying to attach my image. Kept getting some Flash message which I was forced to select and then my post vanished. Technology!!!!!!!!!

I switched over to FireFox and was finally able to upload the image.

I use firefox as my phone browser and can't use it to upload photos so I have use chrome.

I use firefox as my phone browser and can't use it to upload photos so I have use chrome.

When I used FF to upload my image I had to select 'Use default loader' or something like that. This took me to the uploader I was used to seeing before. I have not tried uploading an image since, but I will later today.

I don't take pictures of fish for a number of reasons: I know what fish look like, I've never looked at a fish picture I did take, The fish don't like it, and a good fish story is better without the proof. Glad you had a great trip and came back with a great memory that needs no picture.

The best way to share a great experience is to show some pictures (or a video). I personally think any good story is better with pictures. I've never been there, don't know what the water looks like, what the landscape looks like, how rainbowy the rainbows are. It would be fun to know. No pressure though.

I don't take pictures of fish for a number of reasons: I know what fish look like, I've never looked at a fish picture I did take, The fish don't like it, and a good fish story is better without the proof. Glad you had a great trip and came back with a great memory that needs no picture.

I'm in total agreement. I generally don't even look at pictures of fish in trip reports, although I do like photos of the wate/scenery.

The best way to share a great experience is to show some pictures (or a video). I personally think any good story is better with pictures. I've never been there, don't know what the water looks like, what the landscape looks like, how rainbowy the rainbows are. It would be fun to know. No pressure though.

I take a quick photo of each Trout or Salmon that I'm fortunate enough to land, usually while their still in the net or hand before I release them. On Monday morning I add them to a personal database log listing date, time, location, weather, fly and technique. Just part of the fun and I can relive a few precious weekend moments for a few minutes at the start of my work week.

Just got back from there myself a couple weeks ago.  Weather was phenomenal.  Around 30 at night and upper 50's during the day.  Clear skies and no wind.  Buzzers, flashback jubilee baetis (black), rainbow warriors. and midge pupas in light grey (all in size 20 - 24) always produce well for me.  Late in the afternoons when the sun get just behind the hill, I've always done well on big fish with a black wooly booger with lots of flash on it on the upstream side of the bridge coming off the big run there.  Not stripping it but swinging like a soft hackle.  A lot of good fish sit below that run.

@KevinD62

HOLY COW!  I got not one by TWO NOTIFICATIONS from this forum today.  What's going on here???  Haven't gotten one of those in years.  Great work guys!

Sorry, Kevin, but little things like that get me really excited. Ha!  

Glad to hear you did well on your journey to my favorite river.   I returned to the SJ about a week after I began this thread but drew a blank.  For two whole days.  But I was taught an invaluable lesson by one of the fly shop reps. When I told him of my plight he asked if I had checked the water temp for those two days.  I admitted I had not.  Then he pulled up the USGS Water Resources website.  On both days that I fished the water temp was below 40 degrees to which he added, "That explains why the fish were not cooperating on those days.  The water was too cold which affected their metabolism."   On my previous trip the water never dipped below 40 degrees and I had great fishing.  Lesson learned.

I have always wondered about the water you fished abover the bridge, but have never tried it.  My favorite part of the river is just below the Munoz parking area.  I have lost way more fish than I have netted there.  I think one reason that I like this area is that the fish have a lot of room to run when hooked.  Can't wait to get back out there.

Although my plate is full at the moment, I have been wondering if a return trip is even possible with all the Wuhan-virus madness that has gripped this country and the world.  I will call Abe's tomorrow and have a chat with Jay to see if they are open.  In my book Abe's would rate as an 'ESSENTIAL' business, but that's just wishful thinking ....  Hopefully someone will pick up, or not.  Either way I'll have my answer.  

Thanks for posting your fishing experience.  Savor the memories.

16 hours ago, Patriot said:

@KevinD62

When I told him of my plight he asked if I had checked the water temp for those two days.  I admitted I had not.  Then he pulled up the USGS Water Resources website.  On both days that I fished the water temp was below 40 degrees to which he added, "That explains why the fish were not cooperating on those days.  The water was too cold which affected their metabolism."   On my previous trip the water never dipped below 40 degrees and I had great fishing.  Lesson learned.

@Patriot

I've had that issue on the Madison several times.  I like to fish early fall up there but the weather can definitely be your enemy.  It's not insomuch the temperature as it is the timeframe in which it changes.  This past fall I was up there during both early blizzards.  First one dumped 4 ft of snow overnight.  Water temps plummeted 15 degrees overnight.  The fish went on complete lockdown for 3 days.  A couple of bluebird days warmed the water up about 7 or 8 degrees and the fishing returned to normal.  After the second hammering of snow and the they plowed the roads I headed SE to Casper, WY to visit a friend and former colleague and fish the North Platte there.  Caught a few fish below Grey reef, but did better in Fremont Canyon.  Stopped at the Miracle Mile on the way home and had a couple of decent days there too.

The fish will bite in colder water once it settles down and their metabolism adjusts.  Quick changes definitely throw them for a loop.  It's nice being retired that I don't have to rush back home or to work.  I can stick around for things to settle down and the fishing returning to normal on my trips.  😁  

I love the San Juan too.  I fish a lot downstream of the C&R section.  Way less crowded and fishing is really good.  There's a lot of big fish there, just have to search them out.  Everyone rushes to the C&R because of it's rep of big fish.  It has plenty of them.  I'm just not a fan of fishing shoulder to shoulder.  I'll usually hit it just before sun up and leave when the crowds show up.  Then try a few spots late in the evenings after they've gone.  I'll fish downstream of there the rest of the day.  My favorite season for the San Juan is mid winter.  Not nearly as many folks up there that time of year.  

Thanks for the reply!  Tight lines!  

Kevin 

16 hours ago, Patriot said:

On 1/26/2020 at 3:33 PM, Patriot said:

The river taught me a huge lesson: big, ugly flies = big fish!! I have always fished the tiny midges, etc but have NEVER used large flies on this river. This revelation came about when I - just for the heck of it - tried an olive green 'matuka' that some nice lady gave me on my last trip to this river back in the fall of 2017. A fish hit it hard and broke the 6x tippet. Shock! That night I tied three more similar ugly flies on #10 hooks that I've packed around for decades. They were so old I had to use a diamond file to sharpen them. The following day I lost two of those flies to break offs (same 6x Rio tippet material ...), but they refused to hit the fly which was adorned with grizzly feathers. Picky rascals.

The attached image is not that great, but it should give some idea of what this fly looks like.

post-61757-0-66572200-1580074315_thumb.jpg

One question. Why 6X tippet for a #10 fly the is a streamer.

I would have used 3X or at least 4X. Am I wrong on this?