Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

6'6" 2wt 4pc #4

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

sTsVi8.jpg
P0V87M.jpg
GKtu5q.jpg
rasYyu.jpg

Another 2wt just finished up. This one has an extremely "clean" look to it with the black wraps and metallic gunmetal trim on the titanium blank.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#2 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

Sweetness...

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Established: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!"

#3 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:37 AM

Sedate/clean/simple but quality look.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#4 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:53 AM

One of the worst things about being at work ... my company's network doesn't allow many pictures to display.  sad.png

But, it just gives me one more reason (I'm up to about 638) to look forward to being home.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

No hurry Mike...it's just a blue blank with blue wraps and metallic blue trim, anodized blue guides and some blue cork accents. Topped off with a blue rod sock and custom blue tube.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#6 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

laugh.png There you go, being mean again!!!  tongue.png

Barbed hooks rule!

#7 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

hi Steve, i really like your grip work plus there,s something there to hold on to..

#8 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,390 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

... a blue blank with blue wraps and metallic blue trim, anodized blue guides and some blue cork accents. Topped off with a blue rod sock and custom blue tube.

Oh ... I was SOOOO Looking forward to this perfect rod ... and lo and behold, it's not this !!!

It's a nice rod ... but ...

Barbed hooks rule!

#9 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

is that what they call a torpedo style grip..thanks.

#10 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

It's a reverse half wells. Just looks different/bigger because these 2wt blanks are true 2wts and only have a butt dia. of about .280'ish. Lay an 8" brookie next to the rod and make people think it's a 13"er lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#11 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

ok, without the halfwells that could easily be a torpedo grip..i have built too many 4wt and under with thinner grips, thinking it was finesse but finally learned that a fatter grip up front gives better control of the rod and way better accuracy..grips are interesting and more important than we think..thanks.

#12 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

Yep some smaller wt rods that you buy IMO have just way to thin of a grip. Some of the companies think that people want a tiny little grip on a small wt rod but they are not realizing just because a rod wt is smaller that doesn't change the size of the anglers hand. I remember some years ago I built myself a 7ft 2wt CTS rod and did a small/thin grip on it thinking it would be better. I hated that grip and ended up redoing it the 2nd year I fished it.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#13 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

when i first saw the grips on your rods, my first thought was that he,s been there and done that meaning that you tried the skinny and didn,t like it one bit..i only wished i learned sooner..good points.

#14 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

"just because a rod wt is smaller that doesn't change the size of the anglers hand."

Very large dose of true, goes for length of grip as well as diameter, imo. a short rod doesn't have to fit a child's hand unless it is a child's rod.

I never thought of the small short grips making the fish look bigger, but  that is the best argument I've seen for small grips.

#15 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

I never thought of the small short grips making the fish look bigger, but  that is the best argument I've seen for small grips.

One of these days when I get time I'm gonna build a scale rod using just the 28" tip section from a 4pc. That way I can lay it next to a 10" brookie post it online and watch people lose their minds lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com