Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tomster10

Tarpon Flies

One reason is so that the feathers are less likely to fowl on the hook. I would expect there will be other answers.

Utyer has is correct. The main reason is to prevent fouling. As I understand it, the first flies used for Tarpon were basic freshwater streamers & they fouled badly, so by moving the hackle back on the hook this was prevented or at least limited.

Another reason may be that tarpon flies were often snelled with heavy shock tippets, and a bare shank made that possible. Hopefully, Capt. Bob will chime in on this one. He's our resident authority on the subject.

PJ is correct. Tarpon flies used to be snelled. The "look" has carried over although most don't snell them any longer.

Yea I think PJ is right on the one, I read that in an article a while back. It's just a holdover from the old days. Now I actually tie a lot of my mackerel and bluefish files on the back of a long shank hook, but that is so the hook shank acts as a bite tippet to prevent break offs. You can use mono or flour leader instead of wire and minimize break offs, though they will still happen rom time to time.

According to this article on tarpon flies (link) the larger flies were tied on at the rear to prevent fouling. Probably, both stories are correct

Yea I think PJ is right on the one, I read that in an article a while back. It's just a holdover from the old days. Now I actually tie a lot of my mackerel and bluefish files on the back of a long shank hook, but that is so the hook shank acts as a bite tippet to prevent break offs. You can use mono or flour leader instead of wire and minimize break offs, though they will still happen rom time to time.

Andy, using circles on bluefish and mack flies will also help. You'll still lose your share if the fish turns over on its side, but I've landed some big blues that I would have lost on J-hooks for sure. BTW - choppers in the 12-15 pound range will bite through fluoro like it's al dente spaghetti. (don't ask me how I know, LOL)

Anyway, regardless of the origin of the Keys style, I just like the way it looks. FWIW - I tie most of my crab flies with everything at the rear of the hook, and fouling is rarely a problem, even in the wind.

I tie flies for LM bass in that Keys style. Have done so since I was a kid. The bass still eat them & they don't foul. So, they're not just for Tarpon! smile.png

I am in shock that anyone here would agree with Peterjay even if he is correct. I will however, bow to Cpt. Bob when he chimes in. I find it difficult to believe anything from a fella wearing a tutu.

I find it difficult to believe anything from a fella wearing a tutu.

And this from a guy who bought all of Minnie Pearl's hats when she passed away. It took the folks at the Grand Ole Opry six months to figure out that it was really Ditz up there singing Minnie's greatest hits.

Aunt Minnie and I were quite close and we considered getting hitched. Uncle Clem ran me off with his ole front loading double barrel. He could be quite convincing sometimes.

PJ ties all of his in this fashion because his "street walking" gig in a tutu isnt paying out and he needs to save money! Thread officially hi-jacked!!

Cheap_gas.jpg

Hey, that's the way Ben fills his tank every Sunday morning. Considering the amount of rotgut whiskey in his system, he's probably burning 95% ethanol.

post-281-0-11071200-1390402428_thumb.jpg