Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j93bird

New to Fly Fishing

Hello,

I caught the bug fly fishing the Platt River Canyon in Colorado with a friend last spring. I just can't get the sensation out of my system. Thought this would be a good place to keep me involved while I suffer through the winter. Working on building a small fly tying station and need tips on good reference sites/books with which to practice tying. I realize I'm new and untrained but I'm stubborn and have plenty of patience to become at the very least competent. Looking forward to any advice you might have to offer. Will be fishing in small ponds for Bass and pan fish mostly except when I travel to CO to visit my buddy. Thanks John. My fish trout!

post-54985-0-73049400-1422029692_thumb.jpg

Early on I got lots of good instruction and step by steps from Flyangleronline site. Also from Warmwaterflyfisher. You can also get some good info from Youtube videos... lots of good ones. There are a few where you sit through half the show watching the tyer drink coffee and jabber, but most get right to the point. I've never used any books, at least for fly patterns.

Good luck, and welcome to the site.

Sorry, that's Flya:-)glersonline (with an s). Wouldn't want to mislead you :-)

Welcome to the site. I agree that there are lots of good resources on youtube both for tying and fishing.

Some good youtube channels are...

Tim Cammisa, (a member of this forum), Davie McPhail, Tightlinevideo, Curtis Fry and Hans Weilenmann there are a few others also but these are some of my favorites for tying. For fishing techniques check out The Orvis Company's youtube channel again there are many others a sinmple search will bring up lots of results.

For books I suggest Dave Hughes "Essential Trout Flies", Randall Kaufmann's "Tying Dry Flies" and "Tying Nymphs" for tying guides. These three and the Benchside Introduction to Fly tying are my go to books. Get a local hatch guide and state river and stream guide book and you'll be off to a great start.

Fla's got it right : http://flyanglersonline.com/

Someone else on here once directed a begininer to the Fly Tying and then the Beginning Tying section. Looks good to me as far as getting someone started. Should get going really well too. If that's 'too easy' a stuff, google!

BCT

Welcome to the site.

As has been stated ... there's lots of good info and people on this site. Most are willing to give you sound advise and excellent information.

Some are more prone to ridicule you, to try and drive you out of fly fishing so you aren't spoiling MY their fishing spots.

Fly tying is better ... you can do that all you want ... and we want to see pictures !!!

Thanks for the tips and warnings had similar experiences on other fishing sites in the past. I’m really only looking to just tie flies when I can't fish. Not interested in stealing anything from anyone, can fish in my backyard and stay completely content. Looking forward to my first flies, busy now building my table on which I will tie. There will be an upload a few pics once it is completed.

Welcome to the sport! I'd love to see your fly tying bench when you're through so I can ask you a hundred questions about how to make my own!

YS

very cool, Welcome to the site .as a noob to the site i find the people real friendly and for the most part very helpful. welcome again.

Here is the finished product. The base is cherry and the elevated sections are walnut. The entire table was finished with 4 coats of polyurethane. I have legs for the table but I think I will just attach my vise to another table that this bench sits on.

post-54985-0-16377800-1423050444_thumb.jpg