Fly Tying
dontheo

# 32 Dry Hooks

Well, I di it again. Got impulsive when I saw the post a few weeks ago about someone looking for some small hooks and I bought some. Tiemco size 32. Now I can't find the post or a reference to a fly pattern for a midge that size. Anyone have any suggestions on a pattern?

Thanks

Ted

Zap-a-gap and pocket lint...

You'll need some small thread like spider web or UNI-caenis. A small spinner works well in that size and wouldn't be too difficult to tie at that size.

Good Day,

Well now that you have the hooks... depending on your daring and want to tie on these nearly microsopic hooks, one can surprisingly do quite a lot on them. (See mosquito post in Realistics forum.)

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=13330

Some tyers keep it simple, few wraps of thread and a bit of dubbing or peacock herl. But with patience, will, and the right materials you can really do some amazing things. Look for the tiny feathers on the top of a natural cape, now you have teeny hackle. A few microfibets and a touch of thread or fine dubbing and you have a size 32 baetis! (They do come that small on some streams! I have seen a specimen photo where the baetis was less in length, including tails, than the space from the top of God to the bottom of trust on a quarter!) Or how about micro caddis, mosquitos, midges, gnats, ants, etc. These tiny hooks are really not as difficult to tie on as people might have you believe. Time, planning and a bit of patience are important. But certainly one of the best benefits is that you tying on monstrous hooks like 16 will improve greatly as you dexterity improves via the 32's. as far as patterns, not that many seem to be in print. There are few articles in past issues of Fly Tyer and American Angler, don't remeber whigh issues, but they are out there. However, it may be best to create and experiment on your own.

Steelie

You guys need to come and fish on West Virginia's Elk River, where some of the die-hard midge-addicted locals swear you need to cut the shank on a #32 hook (they call them "#40s") to fool the stream's finicky browns.

John

Hey guys I did not mean anything by it .I just dont go that small ,but I got into the midge swap so I could see some of the smaller midges and give them a try on the water I known small stuff works and I think it is amazing how good some of you guys tie on stuff that small

Fc

Here is a Mustad 277 size 32 hook. It is no longer produced and is actually 1/3 the size of a Tiemco size 32.

IPB Image

Here is a baby Royal Wulff that I have tied by Robert Schreiner on the same hook . Talk about pulling your hair out :wallbash:

IPB Image