Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly or Lure?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Poll: fly or lure (208 member(s) have cast votes)

All Fly or All Lure

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

just squirt some crawfish shad pheremone scent on it and move along to the next fish....

Reading Ray Bergman and other notable fly fishermen / authors from the last century, spinners and even "fly rod plugs" were always being used on fly tackle. If someone wants to have a problem with it, they really have too much damn time on their hands.

the gales of November remembered...

#32 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

funny you mentioned that joel I think somewhere I still have a flyrod flatfish that was my dad's

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#33 Arkansas Mike

Arkansas Mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (day5 @ Nov 30 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we all smoked pipes and whore tweed sport coats while on the river then it would be a different story.

Myself, when I took up fly fishing, I traded the pipe and whore tweed sports coat in for a New Orleans Saints T-shirt and a pack of Red Man.

Mike

#34 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:35 AM

Redman. I went with Beachnut.
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#35 oatka

oatka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:03 AM

"Room service! You need towel?" - Great show Matt!

actually, now that I think about it, the tweed coat did help convince my wife into marrying me!

(I don't think I've ever owned tweed)

#36 Fishkill

Fishkill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

20 dollars for a rapala?

Right? Go to bass pro shops and look at all the new fancy stickbaits and designer crankbaits and then walk right past that isle and go to the one where they still sell bomber long a's and slapsticks!

I dont care what people call their tools. For me its a grey area between weight and if it was tied by hand. Although if you tie striper jigs on 1/2 oz heads you wouldnt call that a fly. At least I wouldnt. If I could cast a fly on a spinning rod with 10 lb line the bait in question is right in the middle of that grey area. I just thought the line was on a fly rod to cast the fly. And the lure is used as weight to cast on a baitcaster.
Although to fish quickly and effectively you might have to add a little more weight on a fly for fast or deep water. And flys tied with more weight for specific applications donesnt make them lures because you could cast them on a spinning reel. It just makes them flys tied to be fished within certain parameters. So there are a lot of variables and when someone doesnt take them into account they make uneducated assumptions about certain flys because they could be cast on a spinner so its obviously a lure. Maybe?

I just hate when people say "on the fly". Uhhhg.
Check out the D on that P.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
troutgreenglasses

#37 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

In Aus i once saw this dude with a spinning rod, a huge sinker, and about 3 flies up his line, he was launching them a long way and seemed to be catching fish. Also seen these sabichi or bait chaser (spelling) rigs, similar design and concept usually used to catch bait, a whole team of flies on a line with a sinker to be cast with a spinning outfit.

#38 flymanaj

flymanaj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

It's a flyrod lure. Looks pretty awesome to me.

#39 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

what's the better deer cartridge, .308 or 30-06 ?

the gales of November remembered...

#40 blakejd

blakejd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (FlyFishin'Jam @ Dec 3 2010, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Aus i once saw this dude with a spinning rod, a huge sinker, and about 3 flies up his line, he was launching them a long way and seemed to be catching fish. Also seen these sabichi or bait chaser (spelling) rigs, similar design and concept usually used to catch bait, a whole team of flies on a line with a sinker to be cast with a spinning outfit.

Its not uncommon on one of the local rivers I visit to have people with spinning rigs throw nymphs with weight. I guess it makes sense considering the insane cost of buying a rod, reel and line. Whatever gets your jollys off. As far as I'm concerned if you can manage to throw a bass plug with a rod or just troll it behind a boat on a fly rod its a fly.

#41 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

Joel I use an UZI!

Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

#42 River Thug

River Thug

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:51 AM

All flies are lures. Unless your using bait your using a lure.

#43 Mr. Vegas

Mr. Vegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:31 PM

<<<<<< Hides for cover after above statement help.gif
AKA---- Dustin READ MY BLOG :) http://dustinsflybox.blogspot.com/
Just picked up tying summer '10 and now I am hooked and a fanatic!!

If I can tie a fly ANYONE can!!!

Vouches Beginnerflytyer - day5 - rich mc - utyer - flytyer14- breambuster - letumgo- fly fischa

#44 day5

day5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

I prefer to bait the fish in with the lure of the fly.....lol!

Brad Paisley

#45 edh

edh

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:06 PM

Just as a side note, Panther Martin at one time had a line of very small spinners designed just for fly rods!