Fly Tying
bulb

Experience with tungsten "thread"?

Hi all, after having seen some posts on Jack Field's instagram about using tungsten "thread" (really a thing tungsten wire) instead of normal tying thread, I'm curious if any forum members use it regularly or at all. I can definately see how tying with tungsten wire can pack on weight without bulking up the profile of the fly, but is the effect significant compared to weighting flies with lead and using a thin conventional thread? Is the difference worth the cost of tungsten wire? It sounds like a cool concept bur im concerned with the ability to make neat/invisible whip finishes in front of dubbing collars etc.

I bought some tungsten thread several years ago. In my experience, it broke constantly when I used it for "thread". I still use it like lead wire to weight small flies, but when it is used up I won't be buying any more.

Joe

its like wrapping a guitar string around the shank of the hook. let it go and it looks like a spring

i threw the junk away

giphy.gif

Agree/ w Flytire, my experience with this wasn't a pleasure , perhaps it was me , I didn't care for it , so it went into that box of materials I wish I never bought