Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How do you thread your bobbin?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Poll: Boobin threading. (429 member(s) have cast votes)

Which method do you use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 flyderaght

flyderaght

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:47 AM

I just like everyone else suck LOL. always done it that way can't see a reason to change. besides, the germs on there are mine and i won't share...smile.gif

#47 ibian

ibian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

When I started (it seems like it was just 8 months ago, yes it was 8 months ago). I started with 10lb florocarbon line folded in half for a threader. That lasted a week and now I'm a sucker.
Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation.

#48 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

I suck it through. If that doesn't work after a few tries (wax buildup or whatever) I'll use one the dozens of dental floss threader strewn all about my tying desk.

Bob

#49 the saltydog

the saltydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

I suck it through except on the bobbins that you can't such as the C&F or Renzetti midge

#50 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:20 PM

FYI on waxy gunk build up, put them in a collander over a steaming pot of water for about 5-10 minutes, close to the water but not in it. Then using a potholder or glove to hold it, run a fine pipe cleaner or quadruple folded over cotton thread through the tube a few times. The gunk comes out easily.

Cheers, Futzer.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#51 TitanFlies

TitanFlies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Futzer @ Sep 5 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FYI on waxy gunk build up, put them in a collander over a steaming pot of water for about 5-10 minutes, close to the water but not in it. Then using a potholder or glove to hold it, run a fine pipe cleaner or quadruple folded over cotton thread through the tube a few times. The gunk comes out easily.

Cheers, Futzer.

I prefer do use my weather, seasoned, callused man hands! headbang.gif
"If the author of the Declaration of Independence were to utter such a sentiment today, the Post Office Department could exclude him from the mail, grand juries could indict him for sedition and criminal syndicalism, legislative committees could seize his private papers... and United States Senators would be clamoring for his deportation that he... should be sent back to live with the rest of the terrorists." -Frank Cobb

#52 LopatNymper

LopatNymper

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:59 PM

I guess I should have chosen threader instead of other but I make my own threader out of .010 non-lead wire. Its softer than a regualar threader so it won't scratch the inside of the bobbin.

#53 LopatNymper

LopatNymper

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

I use .010 mm

#54 fairwxflyfish

fairwxflyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

I have a half dozen nor-vise auto bobbins and several regular and I use a threader on them, never any probs..

Too lazy to try and thread the end of the thread into the hole of the bobbin in the first place, the threader slides right in and springs open when through so easy as pie, to put the thread through and then slide the threader out and good to go..
As in the Army, I have never had a bad day flyfishing, some damn uncomfortable ones but never a bad one!
Everybody must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
A member of the order of the Odonata
Vice-president of Project Healing Waters Canada...http://projecthealingwaters.ca/

#55 Drath

Drath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:01 AM

I used to be a sucker. Now I have two threaders I made out of 1/4 inch dowel rods and 8 or 10 lb hi vis mono.

-D

#56 DHise

DHise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:54 AM

Matarelli threader/cleaner except on my C&F's then I use the threader that comes with them. Too many people touch my bobbins in fly tying classes to be sucking on them sick.gif
"Vegetarian" is an Indian word for "bad hunter"

http://castersonlineflyshop.com

#57 Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

I have been using the plastic dental floss threaders like others have mentioned for awhile as I dislike having to damage my bobbins.

#58 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (maddog48 @ Aug 9 2009, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...I'm hoping before too much longer I'll have pretty much everything I need ready to go...

Yeah... let me know when THAT happens... laugh.gif

I use the dental floss threaders as learned on this forum a few years ago...
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#59 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:49 PM

Practictly everyone sucks. And they also suck the thread thru the bobbin hysterical.gif whistling1.gif whistling1.gif

Sorry, bad joke.
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#60 Kevan J. Evans

Kevan J. Evans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

the old timers used to call it being a wax sucker--- so I never cared cause I don't use wax--- I'll suck it like a $2 ?hore al day long, it's quick, gets the job done and keep my thead on the hook--- bota bing bota boom