Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How do you thread your bobbin?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Poll: Boobin threading. (429 member(s) have cast votes)

Which method do you use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 CamoHalo

CamoHalo

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:45 AM

I like to suck it through the tube, but sometimes i have to use the threader.

#62 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (TitanFlies @ Sep 5 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Futzer @ Sep 5 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FYI on waxy gunk build up, put them in a collander over a steaming pot of water for about 5-10 minutes, close to the water but not in it. Then using a potholder or glove to hold it, run a fine pipe cleaner or quadruple folded over cotton thread through the tube a few times. The gunk comes out easily.

Cheers, Futzer.

I prefer do use my weather, seasoned, callused man hands! headbang.gif

Blake, are you old enough to have weather seasoned man hands? rolleyes.gif Jeff.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#63 TitanFlies

TitanFlies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (Futzer @ Nov 15 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (TitanFlies @ Sep 5 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Futzer @ Sep 5 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FYI on waxy gunk build up, put them in a collander over a steaming pot of water for about 5-10 minutes, close to the water but not in it. Then using a potholder or glove to hold it, run a fine pipe cleaner or quadruple folded over cotton thread through the tube a few times. The gunk comes out easily.

Cheers, Futzer.

I prefer do use my weather, seasoned, callused man hands! headbang.gif

Blake, are you old enough to have weather seasoned man hands? rolleyes.gif Jeff.

Old enough thank you very much!
"If the author of the Declaration of Independence were to utter such a sentiment today, the Post Office Department could exclude him from the mail, grand juries could indict him for sedition and criminal syndicalism, legislative committees could seize his private papers... and United States Senators would be clamoring for his deportation that he... should be sent back to live with the rest of the terrorists." -Frank Cobb

#64 CharlaineC

CharlaineC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:48 AM

I use both the suck meathud and a bobben threader i made. for me it all depens on my mood or if the thread is waxed.

#65 David Legg

David Legg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

I use conventional threaders, the dental floss type, and suck the thread through, depending on which bobbin I have and what I'm threading it with.
The great thing about catch & release is that the fish can live to grow even larger.
In fact, I've known some fish to grow quite a bit larger before the fisherman even returned home

#66 Gustav F.

Gustav F.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (smallieFanatic @ Oct 22 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Practictly everyone sucks. And they also suck the thread thru the bobbin hysterical.gif whistling1.gif whistling1.gif

Sorry, bad joke.

I think you've got a point there hysterical.gif

Myself I use dental floss threaders. For my C&F bobbin I use the included C&F threader.
"Fishing is just en excuse for being there"

Common sense and a tint of moral is long sufficient.

#67 Big E

Big E

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

I just use the threader. I can't suck very well as I always seem to slober the tube up.

#68 oracle

oracle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:08 AM

See i knew it bugeyes.gif we all are just a bunch of suckers yahoo.gif

Hi my names Marc (hi marc)I am a sucker.(o its ok we are all suckers on the inside).
headbang.gif
SPOON!

#69 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

Wow, I didn't think this many suckers would reply... laugh.gif j_k.gif
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.

#70 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

I have to admit, I had always used a bobbin threader for this job. Then last night, I was tying, and in the mess known as my desk I lost track of my threader. I sucked, and learned an important bobbin sucking lesson: don't have too much thread out, it feels a little weird in the throat. blink.gif

#71 neoFLYte

neoFLYte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

Like others, I use those dental floss threader things.

Best Regards,
neoFLYte
Georgetown, TX

#72 Silver Doctor

Silver Doctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

I use a folded piece of mono.
--------------------------------------------
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten,
but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.

My blog - casting on the waters
[/color]

#73 troutdogg

troutdogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (smalltownfisherman @ Aug 9 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally suck my thread through the tube. I have found that if I use my bobbin threader it will scratch the inside of the tube.

my 2 cents

gage

You guys Suck! yahoo.gif
So much to do and so little time in which to do all..........

#74 Silver Doctor

Silver Doctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

[quote name='troutdogg' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:29 AM' post='400622']
[quote name='smalltownfisherman' post='372909' date='Aug 9 2009, 10:00 AM']I personally suck my thread through the tube. I have found that if I use my bobbin threader it will scratch the inside of the tube.

Tried looking inside the tube for scratches, how do you do it? you must have great eyes. I take my hat off to you. Used a threader for 15 years on my tubes and no damage or nicks that I can see. There was a time way back in the sixties where a popular method was to thread a Needle and drop it through the tube. works well but only if you can thread a needle smile.gif .

--------------------------------------------
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten,
but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.

My blog - casting on the waters
[/color]

#75 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

Tried looking inside the tube for scratches, how do you do it? you must have great eyes. I take my hat off to you. Used a threader for 15 years on my tubes and no damage or nicks that I can see. There was a time way back in the sixties where a popular method was to thread a Needle and drop it through the tube. works well but only if you can thread a needle smile.gif .

I didn't look inside the tube,

I have very cheap bobbins and I figured it out when my thread started fraying a lot.
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.