Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Picking up small hooks

Having a hobby that requires picking up size 22 hooks with size 2/0 fingers, I magnetized my scissors. I can pick up a single hook from the container up to size 8 or so with no problem.

Chase, I did basiclly the same thing, except, since I pinch down the barbs of all my hooks, I magnetized my fine tipped bent needle nose pliers. I pick up a hook and bend the barb without changing tools.

Me,

I just put on a fresh pair of white socks and walk around the room. I seem to find all the hooks I ever dropped, down to size 32. I think I even saw a #18 caddis crawl out from under the dresser and slid under my foot.

Conehead

sniksoh - I think you can magnetize tools just by rubbing them over a strong magnet. I picked up this neat little devise last year from Radio Shack (cost was around 4 or 5 bucks). The devise is made by a company called Kronus. It allows you to magnetize and de-magnetize items simply by sliding them through it a couple times. I magnetized a bunch of my fly tying tools (sissors, bodkins, etc) to make it easy to pick up small hooks.

I've also used it to magnetize my screwdrivers for picking up and holding screws.

NOTE - I think this will only work on ferrous metals (Iv'e used it on carbon steel, stainless steel and titanium sissors successfully). I do not believe you can mangetize non-ferrous metals (copper or brass). Just figured I'd mention this in case any of you guys are using any tools made from these other metals.

post-4573-1156013062_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1156013089_thumb.jpg

letumgo has it right. Just rub your scissors, etc across a strong magnet a few times. Never saw the gadget from RS, like the idea of being able to de-magnatize stuff.

you can also demagnatize things by heating them up although you may also end up detempering them in the proscess

Another thing, Just store your hooks in a small box or bag with a magnet, the hooks themselves will become magnatized, and if you ever do spill the box, they stay pretty much in one clump. I find that this is a better solution for me at least.

Sign in to follow this