Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dadofmolly

Name of Fly

post-34554-0-38956000-1555521915_thumb.jpg

Anyone know name of this fly? The closest I can find is a Bomber but this one is without the palmered hackle. It is spun deer hair with a dry fly hackle and red wool tail.

I started tying this several years ago without receipe and have often wondered if someone had developed the fly before I ever tied it.

Thanks for any help in identifying.

It looks like a deer hair Irresistible. At least it's the closest match I could find. Do catch fish with the one you tied?

Goddard Caddis or Irresistible variant with a red wool tag. No idea if there is an exact match out there, but there's very little in fly tying that hasn't been done before somewhere.

It's not close enough to any "well-known" fly pattern to call it a variant of anything. There are lots of creations by lots of people and if you have been tying it for years without a pattern, call it what you are trying to represent. Wool and spun deer doesn't seem to go together, one soaks and one floats. But I'm sure it will catch fish. There's contrast, water displacement, probably pretty neutral buoyancy, red's a good color. I'd use it for bluegill. Maybe a trout would think of it as a cased caddis.

It looks like a deer hair Irresistible. At least it's the closest match I could find. Do catch fish with the one you tied?

It doesn't have the taper of the Irresistible, but close. Yes, for me it catches a lot of trout; fished as a dry and also by letting the fly go through the drift and completing the swing at the end. I've tied with a gold tail , a green tail, and a yellow tail but the only one that seems to work for me is the red tail.

Thanks guys. Before I would call it anything I would like to know if someone else tied it previously and give credit to that person. Guess I have a hang up about changing some little thing on an existing pattern and claiming it as new and wonderful. When writing this I realized I've been tying it for about 13 or 14 years as this is the fly my grandson caught his first trout on when he was 4, now 16.