Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

11' 3/4wt

Interesting. Because I considered doing something similar when I built my 11ft 3-4 iM6 3 pc but opted to go traditional. I built it mostly for nymphing and small streamer fishing. Edit:actually I built a 10ft 3-4 in iM6. the switch rod is 11 ft.

Nice rod Steve !

Dave G.

You can still have it both ways. I removed the bottom cap of the reel seat on mine and made two interchangeable fighting butts -- one short, one 3" long -- for it. One for high stick nymphing and one for two handed casting. The only real trick is getting the 'mandril' for both friction tight w/o glue. Tape works as a tightener/filler. ARE sells the ready made butts for a song but you will have to eove the metal inserts.

You'd be surprised at the size streamers that two hander will launch cross river with an OPST skagit head and short sink tip.

Rocco

Dave G.

You can still have it both ways. I removed the bottom cap of the reel seat on mine and made two interchangeable fighting butts -- one short, one 3" long -- for it. One for high stick nymphing and one for two handed casting. The only real trick is getting the 'mandril' for both friction tight w/o glue. Tape works as a tightener/filler. ARE sells the ready made butts for a song but you will have to eove the metal inserts.

You'd be surprised at the size streamers that two hander will launch cross river with an OPST skagit head and short sink tip.

Rocco

Rocco thanks for that. I actually built an 11 ft switch rod using the same blank material from Anglers Roost, it's a 4-5 ( OPST has recommended a 250gr commando head for that blank). I don't have the line yet or a reel for it. It's a nice feeling rod in the hand, I have high hopes that it will do what I'm looking for. But it didn't cost me a ton of money because I bought the stuff in a Jan sale, so if it's a bust I won't be out much.. Getting the screwed up orders straightened out was a 6 week challenge but I finally did it and now have both rods built( the nymphing rod and the switch rod).

The 3-4 wt I built really for nymphing and small streamers small Muddlers and such. I'm now presently building a 9 ft Matrix blank in straight 4 wt for dry flies. I bought two of those blanks supposedly in green on close out ( the green is discontinued) but they sent black which is not discontinued), so I'm building two for less than the cost of one of those LOL.. And Matrix black blanks have a lifetime warranty on them. I finished one for my wife a couple of days ago and it seems like it's going to be a really nice rod. I just started on my Matrix 9ft 4wt today.